Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2]

2018 B&O Play System

This is a discussion on 2018 B&O Play System within the Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
As most of you know, Ford is ditching the shite Sony systems in 2018 to partner with Harman-owned B&O Play ...

User Tag List

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 2018 B&O Play System
As most of you know, Ford is ditching the shite Sony systems in 2018 to partner with Harman-owned B&O Play for its upgraded sound systems. Ford and Harman are promising an improvement over Sony, but does anyone know particulars about the F-150/Raptor system yet? I've seen reports of a 675w, 10 speaker description, I'm assuming single sub and a center channel.

I ask because the only hard info I've been able to find on actual components was in these two articles on the debut of the system for media in the Fiesta:

Ford reveal exclusive partnership with B&O PLAY: Your car audio will never sound the same again (review) - FLAVOURMAG

Media Discover B&O PLAY Sound System in All-New Ford Fiesta at “Science of Sound” | HARMAN

This article says the 2018 Expedition will have a 12 speaker B&O Play system:

2018 Ford Expedition Is The Ultimate Towing Machine! : Auto News : Auto World News

I was on the fence about buying a late 2017 or ordering a 2018, and the option for a better stock sound system may tip the scales for me. The press review (shocker) was positive, but who knows. What have y'all heard/seen? Could it be any worse than the Sony?

lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I cant lie the sony system is underwhelming so i would ventite to say it will likely be better
Sungod661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The current system sounded like complete trash. Nothing about $1200 aftermarket won't solve though. I wouldn't buy a Raptor for its sound system
brc misfit and sigma like this.
chi_weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Id say at this point, if you can hold off and the price is comparable, I'd wait. You may be happy with the B&O system and not want to upgrade, where Im sure you wont be with the sony. And unless you can do the work yourself, you will be lucky to get a good system upgrade for $1200. The sony system is complete crap from chintzy speakers to the pathetic EQ curves chosen by the designer. This is a LONG overdue change!

Plus, they may get some bugs worked out of the 10 speed too.
MRxGREEN and lawdog like this.

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most"
Otis857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

That Escalated Quickly...

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Considering what likely isn't changing for 2018 (size and location of speakers), I don't know that it will be too drastic of a change. In reality the Sony system is only Sony speakers and amp. The rest is Ford SYNC3. I suspect the B&O speakers and amp will be better, but not drastically. When the aftermarket companys do OEM systems they throttle them back, primarily because of the OEM budget restrictions. They also all clip at high volume because the MFG doesnt want to replace blown speakers under warranty. I think you'd see better sound from an aftermarket amp and speakers.
WhatExit? likes this.

2017 Ruby Red SCREW 802A-Ordered 8/3, Built 10/14, Released from Factory 12/12, Accepted by Shipping Company 12/27, Delivered 1/19
crash457 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Crash makes some good points. The sony system lacks some high end clarity, and solid bass. Seeing the speakers, I understand why. Im sure the new system wont be a step down, but have realistic expectations.

I doubt the new system will have adequate bass anyway, but thats an easy and inexpensive fix.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

If your buying a Raptor for its sound system you might as well look for something else. You can always change out the sound system and add a subwoofer yourself.
brc misfit likes this.
jeremyespinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by jeremyespinoza View Post
If your buying a Raptor for its sound system you might as well look for something else. You can always change out the sound system and add a subwoofer yourself.
Of course I'm not buying a Raptor for the sound system, but, all other things being equal, I'm trying to hedge a 2017 with a known crappy system vs. a 2018 that may have one I can live with better. I really don't want to spend another $1,500-3,000 on a new system. The primary issue for me with ordering a 2018 is, can I get delivery in 2017 or not? I just wanted to see if anyone knew any more than I could find out there about the B&O Play system.
nofire likes this.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

I usually dont have my system on because I love listening to all 8 cylinders just raping the tailpipe...Something GEN2 guys dont understand with that pussy fart of an exhaust.
BBQPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by BBQPorkins View Post
I usually dont have my system on because I love listening to all 8 cylinders just raping the tailpipe...Something GEN2 guys dont understand with that pussy fart of an exhaust.
Sad thing is, you've got to listen to the GEN 2 exhaust all the time because you're trailing behind

GONE - 2014 Roush Ruby Red SE SCrew

2017 Lightning Blue SCrew
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote