Upfitter Wire Gauge Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buyrogue_TYH

Reaction score
Does anyone know the wire gauge size for each of the six up fitter switches? My OCD self would like to install the weather pack connectors but am unclear on what size terminals I will need.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
buyrogue_TYH

buyrogue_TYH

Reaction score
Nvm, found the answer embedded in a nother post. Note to self: search term is "awg" :)

Adding to the knowledge base:

2018 Colors
Aux 1 - Green/White - 15A, 20 awg
Aux 2 - Brown/Blue - 15A, 20 awg
Aux 3 - Gray/Yellow - 10A, 20 awg
Aux 4 - Green/Yellow - 10A, 20 awg
Aux 5 - Brown/White - 5A, 22/24 awg
Aux 6 - Green/Orange - 5A, 22/24 awg

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. Rogue. What worked for me was to solder 14 awg pigtails to each of the aux switch wires. Then I installed all six wires into a six position connector. This way I can simply plug in new wires to the connector.

I used Deutsch, however Weatherpack will work AOK.

Tony Candella sells Weatherpack and a whole lot more. Here's a link: https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/6-position-weatherpack-connector-kit/

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nvm, found the answer embedded in a nother post. Note to self: search term is "awg" :)

Originally Posted by wheelman55 View Post
Adding to the knowledge base:

2018 Colors
Aux 1 - Green/White - 15A, 20 awg
Aux 2 - Brown/Blue - 15A, 20 awg
Aux 3 - Gray/Yellow - 10A, 20 awg
Aux 4 - Green/Yellow - 10A, 20 awg
Aux 5 - Brown/White - 5A, 22/24 awg
Aux 6 - Green/Orange - 5A, 22/24 awg

What I want to know is in whose fantasy world can 20awg carry 15 amps of current at ANY length?

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is in whose fantasy world can 20awg carry 15 amps of current at ANY length?

You are completely correct. I'm certain that it isn't 20 AWG either... Unfortunately I'm soldered to that one already and can't get my wire gauge tester on it, but it's larger than 20AWG

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Those wire sizes are accurate, at least they are on my 2018 Raptor.

If you use a relay, the tiny aux wires only need to carry a small amount of current to energize the switch in the relay. The actual power wires from the battery can be whatever awg you need to supply the power to the lights/winch/compressor/etc.

PS. Not only are the aux wire tiny, they are also short.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those wire sizes are accurate, at least they are on my 2018 Raptor.

If you use a relay, the tiny aux wires only need to carry a small amount of current to energize the switch in the relay. The actual power wires from the battery can be whatever awg you need to supply the power to the lights/winch/compressor/etc.

PS. Not only are the aux wire tiny, they are also short.

The upfitter wires are already on relays, it is designed so you can connect an accessory rated under the total amperage directly to the output (color coded wire)... Also, @HankTheTank has a great point. These wires are fused per the table, that doesn't mean it should be used at max capacity. Fuses are generally upsized "X" percent over the wire size to handle current in-rush

These are not trigger wires, nor are they the relay coil wires. That's not to say you couldn't use them to trigger a secondary relay if you needed more current carrying capacity, but you should be able to hook "X" device up to the upfitter wire directly as long as it's below the rated amperage in the manual. If you go back to your manual where the schematic is, it shows that these are the actual contact output. Pic below.

Last edited:

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s also the fuse size. Not the max operational load.

According to Ford, it is the maximum operational load for the switches. I wired a few things up and it appears that the 2 15/A circuits are 14 awg.

The upfitter circuits are meant to be used as-is with no additional wiring/relays needed if you are under their rated loads.

It would make zero sense (and be a HUGE liability risk) for Ford to fuse a circuit for 15A when it wasn't capable of carrying that size load.

HankTheTank

Reaction score
14 awg is more reasonable.
And yes you’re right, Ford would be smart to assume most people aren’t going to follow good electrical practices.