Street/driving cubes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'18 - keeping stock bumper (yeah, I know).

Are the BD driving combos street legal? Are there any other high quality cubes that are? I want to wire up one set as street/driving lights.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Rigid SAE/DOT lights are not street legal.

The way it works is... fogs are NOT required by law so there is no DOT compliance necessary with them. Companies who list SAE/DOT are simply letting you know they MEET the safety requirements (and some other requirements) that the DOT wants to see in automotive products. That's really all (in a nut shell) they do.

Fogs are not required lighting on automotive vehicles so that's why the DOT does not have any approval process or list of fogs .

With that said, you can run a set of fogs as long as they are aimed within certain parameters. They have to be under a certain height (beam pattern) and you can't have more (in most states) then 4 front facing forward lights. That means with 2015+ Trucks if the highs are on, you can't have your fogs on (because that would mean lows/highs are both on).

SOOOOOO it's not something I'd really worry about since fogs are OPTIONAL equipment. If you want to stay legal, don't turn every light on and be smart with how you aim your lights.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I run four of the Amber Rigid SAE's behind my grille and they stay on 100% of the time the truck is running and I've never had a single issue with law enforcement.

That said, I've got them aimed down in front of the truck a good bit.

I wouldn't want to be that guy running bright ass white lights all the time. That's asking to get pulled over.

EDa0eui.jpg

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
'18 - keeping stock bumper (yeah, I know).

Are the BD driving combos street legal? Are there any other high quality cubes that are? I want to wire up one set as street/driving lights.

Thanks for posting up! Our lights are not street-legal or DOT approved.

We do have many customers running the Squadron Sport in Wide Cornering (Amber or White) without issues. The wide cornering pattern was designed for near field areas and poor conditions and is a great light in addition to the OEM headlights. These are considered street-friendly when aimed properly but we still recommend using caution when operating with other traffic.

Squadron Sport, Pair - starting at $206.95 w/ Forum Discount
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-Sport-LED-Light-Pair.asp

557805_t.jpg

Squadron Sport, Pair, Wide Cornering (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdGbSwHvMs

Squadron Sport, Pair, Amber Wide Cornering (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyud4DZsLzI

Post up if you have any other questions!

- Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com

39179911291_11740b170e_b.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I run four of the Amber Rigid SAE's behind my grille and they stay on 100% of the time the truck is running and I've never had a single issue with law enforcement.

That said, I've got them aimed down in front of the truck a good bit.

I wouldn't want to be that guy running bright ass white lights all the time. That's asking to get pulled over.

EDa0eui.jpg

You don’t always have to try to get detained, sometimes through no fault of your own you’re caught up in some stupidity, or you’re a victim of happenstance, or for whatever reason, you just draw the short straw

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-officers-concocted-reason-traffic-stop.shtml

By and large, there’s not a lot of motivation for stops based on equipment / inspection violations because there’s no money behind it. You fix it and you’re on your way. So, if the lights you run might be a violation, you may be ok for years, until you encounter “that guy”. Every department has one, some more than one. It might take you a few minutes to realize you’ve been detained by “that guy”, as the article above shows.

Common sense goes a long way, but for that last little bit, keep a recorder running.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

BTW, @Aaron, that is a pretty f*cking primitive starbucks parking lot.:biggrin:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
You don’t always have to try to get detained, sometimes through no fault of your own you’re caught up in some stupidity, or you’re a victim of happenstance, or for whatever reason, you just draw the short straw

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-officers-concocted-reason-traffic-stop.shtml

By and large, there’s not a lot of motivation for stops based on equipment / inspection violations because there’s no money behind it. You fix it and you’re on your way. So, if the lights you run might be a violation, you may be ok for years, until you encounter “that guy”. Every department has one, some more than one. It might take you a few minutes to realize you’ve been detained by “that guy”, as the article above shows.

Common sense goes a long way, but for that last little bit, keep a recorder running.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

BTW, @Aaron, that is a pretty f*cking primitive starbucks parking lot.:biggrin:

I've had a run in with "That Officer" before. I was in high school and had these ******* light up windshield sprayer things that I thought were super cool at the time. Got pulled over and Barney made me exit the vehicle, proceeded to yell at me about how I needed to disconnect them RIGHT NOW or he would arrest me and tow the car, and continued to yell as I popped the hood and ripped the wires out of them to disconnect them. Then got in his car and left.

AZ police seem to be pretty laid back about extra lights. At least ambers. I wouldn't go running white ones besides my headlights on the street but that's me. If I do get pulled over, I know I'm technically wrong and will just apologize and flip the switch off. No hurt feelings.

I was taking the back way to Starbs. There's a shortcut through the wash. I don't have my 22x14 American Force wheels on yet, so I utilized the most direct route in order to efficiently acquire my Peppermint Mocha.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I was taking the back way to Starbs. There's a shortcut through the wash. I don't have my 22x14 American Force wheels on yet, so I utilized the most direct route in order to efficiently acquire my Peppermint Mocha.

I feel you, bruh. Does yours have the poser blocks at the front of the parking spaces? One of the baristas tried to tell me they were not supposed to be parked on top of, but he was nuts.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I feel you, bruh. Does yours have the poser blocks at the front of the parking spaces? One of the baristas tried to tell me they were not supposed to be parked on top of, but he was nuts.
You need to call Starbs' corporate line and complain. Poser blocks should be marked as reserved for Raptor owners.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Reaction score
You need to call Starbs' corporate line and complain. Poser blocks should be marked as reserved for Raptor owners.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am on that ****.