Rigid light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" rigid light on the front it draws 15.7 amps. I have it wired to the #1 upfitter. It keeps blowing fuse after 2 seconds. Is the .7 doing this. I've wired it twice so it's not my wiring?

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" rigid light on the front it draws 15.7 amps. I have it wired to the #1 upfitter. It keeps blowing fuse after 2 seconds. Is the .7 doing this. I've wired it twice so it's not my wiring?

You should figure as a rule of 1.25x the load, so for of 15.7 amps you would need 19.625 or a 20 amp fuse. Best way to fix your problem is to add a relay. I would use one of the 5 amp upfitter switches (# 5 or 6) instead of the 15 amp. Just energize the relay coil with power from the upfitter and break the fused light bar hot wire through the Normally Open contact.

Or you could just buy the whole wiring assembly for 30 bucks.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wiring/relay-harnesses/hd-relay-light-bar.html

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As the others have stated, you're overloading your up fitter switch.

What yew can do is grab a Rigid wiring harness that will plug directly into your existing bar. You'll be able to draw power from your battery, and then remove the plastic rocker switch, tie off the other wires and connect the "relay switched wire" to your up fitter switch. You'll draw power direct from the battery and it will go through the relay and fuse in the wiring harness, but still be operated by your upfitter switch.

Let me know if we can help!