Replacing stock Rear license plate bulbs with LED bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know someone already posted about swaping out the rear stock bulbs and replacing them with LEDs but i thought i would do a short video on how to litterally change a light bulb lol. It is pretty easy but i know some people think it's complicated. It really is easy and the only thing that can go wrong is you break the bulb while replacing the bulb.

Here is the video https://youtu.be/3tqGPxUBbH8

I bought the LED'S on amazon for 20$ cdn

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I simply reached up and turned mine counter clockwise about 1/3 a turn and popped out the harness... pull the bulb out and replace. I never had to remove the plastic clear insert like you did. My replacement took 2 minutes...

I think you did this the hard way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sungod661

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes down to the same thing , i did that way to show all the parts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
SG661 - kudos. nice vid. For sure, you need to have your peeps video your mods. Landscape video fits better to computer screens and such and your peeps probably won’t catch pictures of your feet.

I have to say, 5 minutes to cover changing the rear plate bulbs is pretty thorough.

I have ask... and probably we should ask Aaron...
Just how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

A: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/top...-members-does-it-take-to-change-a-light-bulb/

Now, I know it’s a cosmetic, appearance / aesthetics improvement that improves the overall feng shui of truck and driver, but I do have to ask.

is there a benefit in making your rear plate easier to read?

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The LED's just fit the other LED's on the back end of the truck... No clue why Ford went without LED's on the plate... the vanity mirrors I understand-no girl looks good under LED's lol.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The LED's just fit the other LED's on the back end of the truck... No clue why Ford went without LED's on the plate... the vanity mirrors I understand-no girl look good under LED's lol.

It's not just Ford. My neighbor has a new Denali and it doesn't have LED plate lights either.

OP
OP
Sungod661

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No downside other then the fact you have to shell out for the LEDs on a truck that should already have them.

Honestly the tegular bulbs look really crappy in comparison. If you dont ever look at it you wont notice. The minute you change one of them you have to atop and ask why Ford why?

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back in my law enforcement days I loved the plate light being out... best PC in the world to stop a car that needed stopped. Never once wrote a ticket for a plate light (didn't even know the statute for it) but man did it provide a few pursuits, foot chases and other fun things we enjoyed doing with our buddies at 3 in the morning working the streets.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hated the way the stock plate light housings point upwards and light up the tailgate (like in the first pic.)
So I did the 2017 Super Duty plate light housing swap that I saw on f150forum.com.(2nd pic) This pic is with 24 lumens LEDs that weren't bright enough. I got some 56 lumens from Nick and it looks much better now.

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0614.jpg
    SAM_0614.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 74