Night Shots Baja Designs S8, Onx6, Squadron Pros, KC Hi-Lites Flex, FRL Fog Insert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many photos I can put in one post so I may have to post multiple times to get them all in.

The photos are arranged so that the full wide shot is followed by a crop of the same image showing distance markers. Each photo is named based on which lights were used.

In a nutshell, I thought it would be fun to take some test shots to show how the different light packages from Baja Designs compare and how the lights work in the Ford Raptor Lights fog insert bezels. I used my DSLR camera in manual mode (all settings the same for every photo) so this allows a representative comparison between the lights and output. In reality, the lights were brighter and cast more light to the eye, but I chose the best settings I could on the camera to capture the most dynamic range. The most significant difference to the eye was in the peripheral lighting- the side areas were quite a bit brighter than the pics would suggest.

The test area was not where I wanted to do it (area was closed), but my alternate location worked out well enough. Next time I go to the desert, I'll find a great location and make sure everything is set up the way I really want.

Conclusion: Everything worked great! And the more lights you have, the better (duh!). The S8 was probably the individual champ with decent near-field lateral dispersion and fantastic distance lighting. Great combos were the S8 30" and Onx6 10" Hi-Power behind the upper and lower grills. Also, the same Onx6 and the 4 Squadron Pros were a powerful combo. But as I said before, get em all and bask in some serious illumination! Hope this helps anyone looking at the different Baja Designs lights. Also, my approach to lighting has been to create a good spread laterally and a big "center spot" in the distance. Two of my squadrons are angled approx 7-10 degrees left and right of the truck center line, the other squadrons approx 3-5 degrees left and right, then the two light bars light up the center. So keep that in mind when looking at the pics. Cheers.

1A Low Beams.jpg

1.1 Low Beams.jpg

1B High beams.jpg

1.2 High Beams.jpg

1C KC Amber Hilites Flex in FRL Fog bezel.jpg

1.3 KC Highlights Flex Fogs FRLs.jpg

1D BD Squad Pros Combo Lense Angled FRL Bezel.jpg

1.4 BD Squadron Pros Angled L&R Combo Lense Fogs FRLs.jpg

1E BD Squad Pros Spot FRL Bezel.jpg

1.5 BD Squadron Pros Spot Lense Fogs FRLs.jpg

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post all of those pic's. I have seen relatively few night shots on the gen 2 forum.

I hate to ask, but I have been debating the 10" BD Onx6 center grill light bar or the BD Pro kit for the bumper cut outs. Do you happen to have a photo directly comparing these two set ups? I love you photos, but I wasn't sure exactly what lights are being tested in each photo.

OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuation of Photos

Continuation of pics. Are the file names not shown on the pics? Okay, bummer. I'll see if I can go in an edit these posts with the info. BTW, yes I have comparisons between the Onx6 and Squadron Pros. Here you go...

Attachments

• 1F 4 BD Squad Pros with Spot and Combo Lenses FRL bezel.jpg
    1F 4 BD Squad Pros with Spot and Combo Lenses FRL bezel.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 1.6 BD 4 Squadron Pros Spot and Combo Lenses Fogs FRLs.jpg
    1.6 BD 4 Squadron Pros Spot and Combo Lenses Fogs FRLs.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 1G BD Onx6 10-inch Hi-Pwr, Combo Lense, Lower Grill.jpg
    1G BD Onx6 10-inch Hi-Pwr, Combo Lense, Lower Grill.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 1.7 BD Onx6 10-inch Hi-Pwr Combo Lense Lower Grill.jpg
    1.7 BD Onx6 10-inch Hi-Pwr Combo Lense Lower Grill.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 1H BD S8 30-inch, Combo Lense, Upper Grill.jpg
    1H BD S8 30-inch, Combo Lense, Upper Grill.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 1.8 BD S8 30-inch Combo Lense Upper Grill.jpg
    1.8 BD S8 30-inch Combo Lense Upper Grill.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 1I BD Onx6 10-inch and S8 30-inch, Combo Lenses, Upper and Lower Grills.jpg
    1I BD Onx6 10-inch and S8 30-inch, Combo Lenses, Upper and Lower Grills.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 1.9 BD Onx6 10-inch HP and S8 30-inch Combo Lenses Upper and Lower Grills.jpg
    1.9 BD Onx6 10-inch HP and S8 30-inch Combo Lenses Upper and Lower Grills.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 160
  • 1J BD Onx6 10-inch, Combo Lense, 4 Squad Pros, Spot and Combo Lenses.jpg
    1J BD Onx6 10-inch, Combo Lense, 4 Squad Pros, Spot and Combo Lenses.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 2.1 BD 4 Squad Pros Spot and Combo Lenses Onx6 10-inch HP Combo Lense.jpg
    2.1 BD 4 Squad Pros Spot and Combo Lenses Onx6 10-inch HP Combo Lense.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuation of Pics. Last ones. Also, if you click on the pics, the file names will show what's being tested. None of the pics have the trucks OEM lights on unless stated (first two pics in the 1st post and the last one in this post). I can't figure out how to add a title/description for each pic. Also, I wish the resolution could be better on the forum. If anyone needs higher resolution pics for a comparison just PM me or maybe I can sign up for flicker (or one of those accts). Hopefully, these give some help in evaluating the different setups.

Attachments

• 1K- All Aux Lights On- S8 30-inch, Onx6 10-inch HP, 4 Squad Pros, KC Hilites.jpg
    1K- All Aux Lights On- S8 30-inch, Onx6 10-inch HP, 4 Squad Pros, KC Hilites.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.2 BD Onx6 10-inch HP, S8 30-inch, 4 Squadron Pros, 2 KC HiLite Flexs.jpg
    2.2 BD Onx6 10-inch HP, S8 30-inch, 4 Squadron Pros, 2 KC HiLite Flexs.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 1L All on - High Beams and All Aux- S8, Onx6, Squad Pros, KC Hilites.jpg
    1L All on - High Beams and All Aux- S8, Onx6, Squad Pros, KC Hilites.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.3 All on High Beams, BD Onx6, S8, Squadron Pros, KC HiLite Flex.jpg
    2.3 All on High Beams, BD Onx6, S8, Squadron Pros, KC HiLite Flex.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

x-ray

Reaction score
Great comparison of different lights, thanks for taking the time to do this. I have been really happy with my S8 behind the grill light and have been debating getting the Onx6 10" lower grill light or grabbing some squadrons or XL80s for the hood A pillar mount. I would love the huge curved Pro6 Gravity bar along the roof line @Nick@Apollo-Optics sells but I can't make the truck any taller.

X

OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great comparison of different lights, thanks for taking the time to do this. I have been really happy with my S8 behind the grill light and have been debating getting the Onx6 10" lower grill light or grabbing some squadrons or XL80s for the hood A pillar mount. I would love the huge curved Pro6 Gravity bar along the roof line @Nick@Apollo-Optics sells but I can't make the truck any taller.

X

Yep, same situation with me - can't add any height to my truck. Adding the Oxn6 or the Squadron Pros in the fog pocket to your existing S8, would be a good call. Probably the best choice (not factoring in $) would be the S8 and Squadron Pros, but if you didn't want to spend so much, then the S8 and Onx6. The distance objects became much clearer when combining the lights, like the S8 and Onx6, and the Onx6 and Squad Pros.