New Lights On Amp Research Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heffneil

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am excited to show off my replacement lights for my new Amp Research Running Boards. It comes with two tiny lights that kinda suck. I didn't love them so I replaced them with some LED tape light. It is hugely improved and I was excited it didn't overload the circuit. Being LED I didn't think it would be huge draw but I wasn't sure what the circuit would be capable given that the original lights were just two small LEDS.

These are only on when the doors are open.

Check it out.

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the AMP research steps myself. Had them for about 4 years. Everything about them is great, except for the lights lol.

Mine did not last long at all and have completely crapped out. Don’t even turn on. The step works flawless. But the lights went out a long time ago. They are really bad and AMP should consider a different lighting approach.

Having said that, your mod looks amazing! If you don’t mind, can you do few photos demonstrating the install. I am a little confused on how to wire that LED strip. Is there a harness? Is there soldering?

Thanks! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

heffneil

Reaction score
Thanks! I used the butt connectors that have a solder pod in the middle and heat shrink. I use a little torch and they work great to connect the end of the LED light tape to the back door wiring lead but I pulled it back up front. I just cut off the one from the front door light and just sealed those leads off entirely. So eliminate one set of wire by ending them, and then use the back door set (which are longer) to route around to just behind the back of the front wheel and use the tape all the way down.

I opened the boards and the tape didn't hold up. They fell down the next day. Pretty disappointing but I ordered some new VHB from 3M and I will test it tomorrow when its here. I DID use a lot of rubbing alcohol to clean the area until the towel wasn't black anymore but that didn't cut it.... I will work on some new pics.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ sounds good. Looking forward to your next post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

heffneil

Reaction score
So it's hard to depict what is happening there but with this set of running boards there are two leads that run to each light. If you look in my original post you see the little tiny lights that were provided with the kit. One lead is shorter for under the front door and the other is longer for the back door. The short one is very close to the motor on the front hinge of the board.

You will see a pic with the splices disconnected on one side. That the front door lead and I just pulled the light out of that one and its zip tied up with the rest of the wiring harness.

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

The other lead I put around the front of the wheel well (front wheel) and then I spliced those connections to the end of the tap light. I tucked it behind the plastic splash guard. I hope this helps. The double back tape that came with the tape light was no good. Didn't last in my garage after a few days. I bought some 3m VHB and it looks to be holding pretty well now!

IMG_4222.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Roy Esslinger

Reaction score
Is there
Hey guys! I am excited to show off my replacement lights for my new Amp Research Running Boards. It comes with two tiny lights that kinda suck. I didn't love them so I replaced them with some LED tape light. It is hugely improved and I was excited it didn't overload the circuit. Being LED I didn't think it would be huge draw but I wasn't sure what the circuit would be capable given that the original lights were just two small LEDS.

These are only on when the doors are open.

Check it out.
Is there anyway to not use the vehicle ALDL plug to hook up these running boards?

OP
OP
H

heffneil

Reaction score
I don't know. They work with the OBDII port. Works very well and isn't a problem for me. I mean I don't use anything in that port while driving and if there needs to be diagnostics done just unplug it. Seems good to me. Keep in mind they drop down when a door is open so that is why they need that type of interface. Otherwise you would have to find proper wires to indicate a door open, splice them.

CROOKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can add an ODBII spliter to run Amps while having an N gauge both plugged in. The spliters are under $10 on amazon.