GEN 2 More on aux/upfitter switch wires & pass through wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHnewbie

Reaction score
Been reading lots of posts here on aux sw and pass through wiring and finally decided to tackle locating these wires in my 2108 SCrew, exposing them sufficiently to make connections, and testing the operation of the aux switches before proceeding with the install of several BD light kits. In going through this drill, I found some conflicts with info posted on this forum in another thread by others (more below).

1. The wire bundles for the aux switches and pass through wires were well hidden. It took some poking around with a flashlight to find them. Each bundle was taped to a nearby wire harness in two places with electrical tape. Getting at the electrical tape to free up the wires was a bit of a challenge, as this was under/behind various structures and other wiring/connectors. No room to get fingers in there to remove the tape so I used an Xacto knife to cut the tape, after which it was easy to pull out the two wire bundles and verify that the colors match what others have published for wire colors for 2108 trucks (different from 2017 trucks, and different from the owners manual supplement for 2018 trucks).

2. Next task was to identify which wire bundle was which. There are posts on this site with photos marked to show that the wire bundle nearest the passenger side contains the aux sw wires. This turned out to be the wrong info for my truck. I put a Posi-Tap connector on the Aux 1 switch wire (green/white) in each bundle, connected the tap to a voltmeter, and operated the Aux 1 sw. No indication on the bundle closest to the passenger side when the sw was operated. On the bundle closest to the driver side, 12 volts indicated with the Aux 1 sw in the on position. So, on my truck at least, the bundle closest to the driver side contains the aux sw wires, and the bundle closest to the passenger side contains the pass through wires. YMMV. Both bundles had wires of adequate length to make connections, but not what I would call a generous length. Wire sizes looked on the small side, but probably OK for the rated current.

3. I also did some tests to determine how to power the BD reverse light kit. Several here have suggested not tapping into the drivers side OEM backup light wiring (as recommended in the BD installation instructions) due to the small wire size, so I started looking for other possibilities. There is easy access to the back side of the 7 pin round trailer connector on the rear bumper; the center pin on this connector provides power to trailer backup lights. I put the truck into reverse (with the engine running) and measured the voltage on this pin; 12 volts in reverse, 0 volts in park. With the easy access to the rear of this connector, I will attach a Posi-Tap connector to the wire going to the center pin and use the tap to power the reverse light kit. No wire cutting or splicing necessary and easily removable.

With this preliminary prep work done, the rest looks easy enough.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the BD backup kit with the PRO lights, I tapped into the small wire as per BD's instructions, no issue so far...

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. Next task was to identify which wire bundle was which. There are posts on this site with photos marked to show that the wire bundle nearest the passenger side contains the aux sw wires. This turned out to be the wrong info for my truck. I put a Posi-Tap connector on the Aux 1 switch wire (green/white) in each bundle, connected the tap to a voltmeter, and operated the Aux 1 sw. No indication on the bundle closest to the passenger side when the sw was operated. On the bundle closest to the driver side, 12 volts indicated with the Aux 1 sw in the on position. So, on my truck at least, the bundle closest to the driver side contains the aux sw wires, and the bundle closest to the passenger side contains the pass through wires. YMMV. Both bundles had wires of adequate length to make connections, but not what I would call a generous length. Wire sizes looked on the small side, but probably OK for the rated current.

With this preliminary prep work done, the rest looks easy enough.

This is well documented. On 2018's, the bundle by the fender are the pass-throughs, the bundle closest to the engine are the hots. This is exactly the opposite of the 2017's.

Additional hint - you don't always have to connect the pass-throughs to the upfitters! Use them for passing battery-direct hot into the cabin if you need to use a relay for something inside, for example. They're very handy! Made installing my ham rig a piece of cake.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 18 has the same - pass throughs nearer the fender and the hots closer to the motor.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Although I discovered that the colors of the wires listed in the manual do not correspond correctly - use a volt meter to get the proper wire to the switch you want to use.

Ron johnston

Reaction score
is there an easy way to tap into a source of switched power for my valentine1 radar detector. I would rather it be connected to some power source that comes on when the ignition switch is on and not have to use any of my upfitter switches. thx in advance

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there an easy way to tap into a source of switched power for my valentine1 radar detector. I would rather it be connected to some power source that comes on when the ignition switch is on and not have to use any of my upfitter switches. thx in advance

Fuse 28, 29 or 30 at the passenger kick panel are unused.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fuse-box.info/ford/ford-f-150-2015-2018-fuses-and-relay

Use this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K866RPR/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Should be switched with the ignition. If not tap into F32 which is the SYNC receiver.

From the kick panel you should be able to run your power and ground up to the A pillar or across and up to the tray just above the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy Esslinger

Reaction score
On the 2019 the Axillary wires (hot) are bundled just above the passenger side wheel well, the 6 wires for the pass thru are about 6 inches towards the drivers side away from the 1st bundle

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 2019 the Axillary wires (hot) are bundled just above the passenger side wheel well, the 6 wires for the pass thru are about 6 inches towards the drivers side away from the 1st bundle

On my 2019, it was the opposite. My pass-throughs were closest to the passenger fender, while the hots were over a bit more towards the driver side.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2019, it was the opposite. My pass-throughs were closest to the passenger fender, while the hots were over a bit more towards the driver side.
Same with my ‘19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk