M&R Dual 40" Kit vs. BD 30" s8 Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to start by saying this post is NOT meant to be an argument between vendors as I have read very good things about both kits.

I am looking for (hopefully) someone with real-life experience with both of the kits who can tell me if one stands out far over the other. I am definitely on the fence between the two and here is why.

1. The BD name seems more "tried-and-true" from my reading, possibly a more quality product.
2. With the M&R kit, you get 2 40" light bars for 65% of the price you get 1 30" kit for from BD.
3. From what I have read, there is more lumens in 1 of the M&R light bars than the BD, which makes sense because of the length difference
a. I would be planning to get both white lights (I think) if I went with the M&R kit

Someone (not selling these kits) push me over the fence one way or another here please... Looking to order today...

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the lightbar kit but I have the M&R Hood Mount Kit. The quality is great. Easy install and the light output is very good. I'm really impressed.

I really like the fact that the M&R dual lightbar kit can fit behind the grill with a relocated intercooler. That's a huge plus.

The only con I can think of is that my kit didn't come with any wiring. I had to pick that up myself. Really it wasn't a big deal and the total $ with the wiring still came out to less than the BD.

I personally don't think you can go wrong either way.

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a BD S8, so I can't comment on that. I do have the M&R dual 40" kit with both white lights. I also have the Raptor lights kit for the fog pockets, which has 4 total BD Squadron Pros and 2 KC flex with amber covers.

So, here are my observations:

BD Squadron Pros are very bright. There are 4 LEDs per lights, for a total of 16 LEDs. To me, I think the BDs seem about the same brightness as the M&R kit. The M&R kit lights are a little cooler tone than the BD lights. I feel like the BDs are slightly warm and the M&R are more neutral.

With both sets on standing in front of the truck and looking at them, they are both absolutely ridiculous. It would be outright dangerous if you used them on the road on an oncoming driver. I think they would be temporarily blinded and might have to pull over.

Build quality on both are really nice. BD probably doesn't need anything said, they are great. The M&Rs I was really impressed with. Extremely well built and look like they will last.

I know it's not a direct compare to the S8, but maybe this helps a bit.

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I am hesitant on fogs because I think I want a bumper at some point in the future.. I thought about going with BD A-pillar lights for now and then putting a bar in a bumper when I get one (most likely stealth fighter), but I’m not sure I’m crazy about A-pillar lights without seeing them on a raptor yet... I spose I could buy the M&R dual 40” kit as well as the BD A-pillar lights for the same price as the single BD bar behind the grille... I think I’ll order the M&R kit for now.. and I need to decide both white or one of each...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am goign to sell my 30in Baja grill light its about 4 weeks old. I am changing bumper and intercooler so I wont need.

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man! I just ordered my M&R kit!! I’m sure you won’t have any troubles selling!

marcomilano77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 vote for the M&R bars. I have the dual 40” behind the grill and the A pillar ones from them. Love all of them. Really good output and great quality. And I’m excited about keeping them when I upgrade the IC. You won’t be disappointed