Lightbar thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this Rough Country lightbar. I like the blackout look. They just seem too cheap? If you look at various company light bars, they all look identical, same design/measurements, mounting hardware. I'm sure they are all manufactured at a single place. (Rough Country, Southern trucking, Trailfx, etc)
Similar to @johnbaker3234 original lightbar, this is one of those bars according to merlesokc.

http://www.roughcountry.com/40-inch-curved-led-light-bar-72940bl.html

3Ktt

Reaction score
I agree with you in the stealthy look of the lightbar. I do have a RC 50" on our Jeep that works perfectly.

I personally like the idea of the blackout lightbar hidden behind the grill. I wish some company would figure that one out.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this intended to be mounted underneath the grill? Or on the windshield? Sorry for the silly question, but if you want a lightbar at the top of your windshield, how big does it need to be? The rough country bar the OP linked to does not come with mounts, correct?

OP
OP
M

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would mount on top of bumper in front of grill. Appears to fit perfect there. I don't think anyone makes brackets yet for windshield mount.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have a good deal of experience with RC light bars. I have a 20" and 4 cubes on my truck. We put one of their black edition 20" on my pop's truck.

They're bright. Especially for the money. But like all Chinese bars...that brightness doesn't go anywhere. I don't get anymore distance over my OEM HIDs when I flip the bar on. I just brighten up everything around me for 100ft or so. But no real distance out of it.

If you're looking to just fill in all around you, it will do its job well. If you're looking to get some more distance over your LED headlights, you're going to be disappointed.

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have a good deal of experience with RC light bars. I have a 20" and 4 cubes on my truck. We put one of their black edition 20" on my pop's truck.

They're bright. Especially for the money. But like all Chinese bars...that brightness doesn't go anywhere. I don't get anymore distance over my OEM HIDs when I flip the bar on. I just brighten up everything around me for 100ft or so. But no real distance out of it.

If you're looking to just fill in all around you, it will do its job well. If you're looking to get some more distance over your LED headlights, you're going to be disappointed.

GREAT & HONEST 1st hand user input! THANKS !!!

How long have you had these lights? How has the finish on them held up over time?

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GREAT & HONEST 1st hand user input! THANKS !!!

How long have you had these lights? How has the finish on them held up over time?
The bar on my truck, about a year, maybe more. Had it on my previous truck.
The cubes, few months. However, they have amber Rigid covers on them.

The finish is holding up much better than I expected. I expected the lens to start yellowing at this point on the bar, but nothing yet. That part has me impressed.

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bar on my truck, about a year, maybe more. Had it on my previous truck.
The cubes, few months. However, they have amber Rigid covers on them.

The finish is holding up much better than I expected. I expected the lens to start yellowing at this point on the bar, but nothing yet. That part has me impressed.

Awesome! Thanks.

So the finish on the bar still looks good? No fading/greying?