light bar top of windhshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would look better on the bumper... just saying.

sooooo helpful....

I have rigid 54" RDS midnight with rigid door jamb mounts. you have to drill 3 holes in the door jamb behind weatherstripping to install this one. there are a couple of downsides.

1) there's some noticeable wind noise that starts around 30mph and only gets worse the faster you go.

2) some light reflects off the hood and will screw with your night vision, unless you have a black truck. mine's silver, so its kinda bad. probably going to put a black hood wrap on.

there's other brands out there but Rigid, Baja designs, or the KC Pro6 are all good choices depending on what look you're going for.

I also put some rigid cubes in my front bumper, and i find myself using them a lot more on the country backroads than the big 54" only since its a bit more low key.. I think if i had a gen2, i might do the 40" on the top of the front bumper like some around here have done.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so most vendors including rigid is saying that the aluminum body can't support that so you gonna bend or lose a led over time. roof rack or longer supports roof rail mount or chase rack mounts seem to be only option for now if you don't want a broke truck long term

i been looking at this one they have a pic of one on raptor. not to cheap but looks good imo.

http://shop.m-racks.com

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
so most vendors including rigid is saying that the aluminum body can't support that so you gonna bend or lose a led over time. roof rack or longer supports roof rail mount or chase rack mounts seem to be only option for now if you don't want a broke truck long term

i been looking at this one they have a pic of one on raptor. NOT cheap but looks good imo. only other issue is they don'y answer the damn phone so support isnt great

http://shop.m-racks.com

I actually really like their stealth rack

OP
OP
B

bwong6736

Reaction score
sooooo helpful....

I have rigid 54" RDS midnight with rigid door jamb mounts. you have to drill 3 holes in the door jamb behind weatherstripping to install this one. there are a couple of downsides.

1) there's some noticeable wind noise that starts around 30mph and only gets worse the faster you go.

2) some light reflects off the hood and will screw with your night vision, unless you have a black truck. mine's silver, so its kinda bad. probably going to put a black hood wrap on.

there's other brands out there but Rigid, Baja designs, or the KC Pro6 are all good choices depending on what look you're going for.

I also put some rigid cubes in my front bumper, and i find myself using them a lot more on the country backroads than the big 54" only since its a bit more low key.. I think if i had a gen2, i might do the 40" on the top of the front bumper like some around here have done.

thanks for the info! yeah I definitely don't want the wind noise

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wind noise is so well contained on this truck from factory that even adding a 2 foot CB antenna introduced noticeable wind noise. I can imagine what adding a windshield mounted lightbar would do.

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. Like everyone else who owned a Wrangler I added a light bar. Used it once, had to listen to it everyday. Terrible.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want a roof light, you can't avoid wind noise. I have a 54" Curved bar on my demo truck (it's a 2015 but same idea) and the wind blowing over the fins makes a whistle noise. I put some door jam weather stripping in there which helps cut down on it. I'm in the process of replacing the single 54" curved with dual 50" Baja Designs OnX6 lights though and an ADD Roof Rack/Chsae Rack so who knows WHAT the noise will jump to.

But what you want to do is possible. As someone else stated you'll put 3 rivets on each side to hold the bar in BUT you'll get wind noise.

Do I like the bar up there? Ehhh tough to say. It's nice to have and fills out the rest of the truck (lots of LEDs on my truck , duh) BUT as someone else said I get glare on my hood. MOST bars that fit up there are not high quality. I'm not saying RIGID isn't high quality but the design of the light will mean you get a lot of light ON your hood. I have a white truck and it reflects off, so it sucks. Going with a SPOT light only is the way to go as it'll shoot PAST your hood, but it's tough to find a 100% spot light in that size bar that is curved. Most are combo lights... so you may have 2 issues (wind + light shining on your hood).

A lower bar in your grille will give you better USEABLE light and more FOCUSED light depending on what you want (flood or spot)