Installed BD XL80 lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well Lou, I got my Squadron Pro's mounted on the same SDHQ mounts you used. They are very close to the fender, but I think that is how they are - have you adjusted yet? As I said before I went with the Squadron pros because of their smaller size, plus I really like the round version :) Do the XL's come in round as well? I went last night and found a wall up the street from me to aim these suckers, damn they are bright, I got spots FYI. I also have a 30" light bar in my bumper so I think I'm good with lights for now :D

Anyway, sorry for jacking your thread bbut here are some pics.

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

Looks great, Scott! Glad we could get you setup! And yes, the XL Series light are also available with the round bezel, the XL-R.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First let me say I am a Baja Designs fan boy….BUT I still call them as I see them. I’ve run their products for many years including time down in Baja…and found there is nothing darker then a moonless night in the middle of nowhere in Baja.

All the LED lighting I’ve run has been from light bars, so this is the first time running individual lights. I wanted as much lighting I could get out of single lights so I went with the clear XL80, not the sport or Pro and at an advertised output of 9800 lumens it looked pretty dang good on paper…

I mounted them on a set of SDHQ “A” pillar mounts and wired to the AUX 1 switch. A word about the mounts…they are plenty thick and well braced, and snake tightly thru the fender bolts and hood, but mine fit a little too close to my fenders, in fact it looks like I might have to pull off the left side and “adjust” them a little.

My XL80’s are a driving/wide combo so I had 2 concerns:
1. Mounted so far back on the top of the hood would really interfere with the wide lighting.
2. Excessive glare form the top of the hood.

My fears turned out to be for nothing, the glare in minimum and the wide lighting is really good…

Summary: The lights are awesome and I am blown away on the light output and pattern, they put out an ass load of light! I took photos and video but they don’t come close to how much usable light comes out of those XL80 lights!

Also thanks to MD247 for his install video…
I just installed my mounts and I'm debating the same lights do they look out of proportion in person meaning too big ? Did you put the little paint protectors on the side where it comes in contact with the fender I don't see it in your pics. Mine fit pretty well and real solid mounting and great finish and hardware! b522e5b3658f4955d74ad037f6a2222f.jpg74786fba5bbcece82881a48048eec3b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your asking me I don't have lights on yet and when I do I don't care if I have any wind noise I usually have the radio cranking anyway !!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going with the squadron driver series

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk