How do you pass State Inspections when running non-DOT fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjbeyer

Reaction score
Here in Virginia they are crazy about it. I had to literally disconnect and REMOVE my light bar every year on my F-250 (wired to upfitter) in order to pass inspections.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
VA is a little kooky; if the light is mounted it has to work, and if it works it has to be either - NHTSA DOT approved OR covered with at least a semi-permanent cover. You can check out the inspection code online via the VSP website.

If it’s not DOT approved, you either need to affix a permanent or semi permanent cover OR remove the lights for inspection.

HTH

smurfslayer

Reaction score
VA is an odd duck among states. They’ve been taking away freedom since 1607.

I’d love to know my local inspector(s) wouldn’t give me static, but I’ve come to know better.

I had a ZX11 I bought ages before and had inspected by the same guy for 5 or 6 years, suddenly he fails me for a headlight chip -on the INSIDE- of the lens.

I rode to the local bike shop and got the bike inspected and continued to pass inspection until I sold it. But, I’ve known a lot of folks getting knicked on lights, but I’m not sure about non DOT lights.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Yeah, light covers seem to be about the best practical answer right now.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light covers aren't that expensive

That works. If no solid cover from manufacturer of the light, but they offer a lexan white or amber cover then get one of those and line the inside with anything dark or paint black and then attach to the light. Not hard.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
That's ******. Here in AZ anything below the headlights isn't required to be DOT approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Reaction score
That's ******. Here in AZ anything below the headlights isn't required to be DOT approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give them time. When taking freedom for 410 years you have been, have this many laws you will not ! :flipthebird::biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter