HID's/Halogen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Is anyone running HID and or halogen auxiliary lighting? The LED's look awesome but the usable light output is not that great. They just can't reach out like an HID. In fog and foul weather I much prefer a yellow halogen. I will likely run some PIAA 520 ion yellow for fogs but still researching HID's for long distance. Lightforce and PIAA both have some nice sounding products. Anyone using them?

TMAC3

Reaction score
There is a lot of information out there indicating that LED lights produce the same, if not better output than HID; and both outperform Halogen. IMHO, the up front cost is greater for a good quality LED light, but you (usually) get what you pay for. Do your homework before committing.

Looking forward to the comments on this, particularly someone who has or is running both.

OP
OP
SilverBolt

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
There is a lot of information out there indicating that LED lights produce the same, if not better output than HID; and both outperform Halogen. IMHO, the up front cost is greater for a good quality LED light, but you (usually) get what you pay for. Do your homework before committing.

Looking forward to the comments on this, particularly someone who has or is running both.

Homework is in process. I ran a Rigid 40" and 4ea of the D2's on my 2011. Was not impressed. LED's only reach out about 1/3 the distance of HID spots. For fogs I am most interested in the light pattern and color. Obviously distance is not the key issue with fogs.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Optics make a huge difference and really separate bd from rigid and Chinese lights. My buddies all have rigid and I have rigid on the rzr and they were alright but after getting a couple bd xl80s and doing some research there is no comparison. The color is much more natural and their optics are in a different league. Definitely give bd a shot. Their high speed spots and racers offer a lot of distance.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran visionx HID spot lights a while back and they were awesome for distance. Still have them somewhere but im not running them currently.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optics make a huge difference and really separate bd from rigid and Chinese lights. My buddies all have rigid and I have rigid on the rzr and they were alright but after getting a couple bd xl80s and doing some research there is no comparison. The color is much more natural and their optics are in a different league. Definitely give bd a shot. Their high speed spots and racers offer a lot of distance.

Totally agree, Rigid is a quality light but the E-Series or the D2 does not compare to a BD Onx bar, XL80's, Squadrons for distance in my experience.

I would put the BD stuff up against a 8" HID or halogen for distance, they are unreal. I'll be driving through a steep pass in the Rocky's when the mountain in front of you looks a half mile tall, and no ******** the BD Onx 40" was lighting halfway up the ******* mountain when the distance is right. I'm no BD cheerleader but I can't deny how great the long distance throw is on them.

Silver, if I were you I would give an Onx bar or some XL80's/Squadrons a try for distance, you will be blown away. Throw a couple yellow lenses on some for fog, because the standard light will blind you in snow/fog/dust. I'm thinking about a Rogue bumper with the BD Onx bar or maybe the NFAB lightbar mount and throwing eight XL80's on that bitch.

NFAB BAR

Here's my old 38" Onx setup, lights worked awesome (for a while), and then the second I crammed in a 40" Onx, which was even brighter (for a while).

RikxRfRl.jpg
87Y5IAQl.jpg

Last edited: