Help on SPST relay to connect light bar to high beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping for some help here. I do not have any experience doing something like this, but would like to learn. I want to connect my Onx6 and S8 30" light bars to trigger from my high beams. This process was mentioned in another thread by @Hamm3r:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f265/rigid-radience-light-output-53320/index2.html

Hamm3r mentions the following in that thread:

"As to how, just use a standard SPST relay, connect the 12V power to the upfitter, and energize the relay with the high beam wire. Just do a simple inline wire tap off the high beam, carry that to the relay coil.

It will only fire the light when the upfitter is on and the high beams are engaged. Which is the only time you need a light bar on. There's no logical reason to run a light bar and not your high beams.
But this also allows you to run high beams and no light bar by turning the upfitter off, should you have a reason to do that."

This sounds pretty easy, but can someone provide a link to SPST relays that will be appropriate for this application? The S8 draws 10 amps and the Onx6 8.4. Or provide any additional info that can help me decide if I want to tackle this task on my own. Any help/info is appreciated. Thanks!

GrdnFrmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would you tap the high beam wire, near fuse box? Any help IDing the right wire would be appreciated.

OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would you tap the high beam wire, near fuse box? Any help IDing the right wire would be appreciated.

Good question. I'm probably going to tackle this project in the next few days, so if anyone can help us ID the high beam wire around the fuse box, that would be appreciated. Or if there are any better locations to tap the wire, let us know. Thanks.

GrdnFrmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. I'm probably going to tackle this project in the next few days, so if anyone can help us ID the high beam wire around the fuse box, that would be appreciated. Or if there are any better locations to tap the wire, let us know. Thanks.

I'm getting an OnX6 for the lower grill in a few days. If anyone can offer advice about tapping the high beam, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I find it first, I'll post pix and details. Thanks!

OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting an OnX6 for the lower grill in a few days. If anyone can offer advice about tapping the high beam, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I find it first, I'll post pix and details. Thanks!

I've got my relays, but still haven't tackled this project yet- life is just too busy! Yes, please let us know if you find a good spot to tap into. Thanks!