Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone come across a good headlight upgrade option?

LED headlights aren't nearly as effective as HID's as far as light throw. I know most of us have a ton of extra lighting options. I was just curious if anyone had upgraded.

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone come across a good headlight upgrade option?

LED headlights aren't nearly as effective as HID's as far as light throw. I know most of us have a ton of extra lighting options. I was just curious if anyone had upgraded.

I agree that the LEDs aren’t as good as a HID system. I did a HID retrofit in my F350 that was awesome. The downside is that HID bulbs burn out more often then LEDs and they were somewhat of a PITA to replace on that truck.

It seems the issue isn’t so much LED vs. HID though, but more to do with the fact that HIDs use a projection lens and the Raptor LEDs use a fresnel lens that seems to make the light look very scattered/mottled.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I agree, my projectors on my Gen 1 blew away these LED lights for distance and clarity. The LED lights look bright and I get flashed every so often because people think they are my hi beams.
The light is very scattered.
Almost tempted to buy a set of the new halogen heads and retrofit them with LED projectors to focus the light where it needs to be.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can we ban Jake now or something? All the kid does is posts the same ebay link on every reply, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Gregger on your Gen2 it has LED from the factory so you can't upgrade them. We have our own brand of LED Conversion Kits (CrystaLux) which are brighter then the factory LED but you can't replace them. Your housing has the LED system built in. Even if you could replace the housing (which you can) you can't wire it up, as the harness is completely different for other headlight systems.

SOO without doing a lot of custom work you are kind of stuck with what you have from the factory

OP
OP
Gregger

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we ban Jake now or something? All the kid does is posts the same ebay link on every reply, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Gregger on your Gen2 it has LED from the factory so you can't upgrade them. We have our own brand of LED Conversion Kits (CrystaLux) which are brighter then the factory LED but you can't replace them. Your housing has the LED system built in. Even if you could replace the housing (which you can) you can't wire it up, as the harness is completely different for other headlight systems.

SOO without doing a lot of custom work you are kind of stuck with what you have from the factory

Good to know. Sorry if this question has been beaten to death. I'm learning.

I suppose once my Raptorlights kit is on tomorrow, I won't care too much. :)