Having high beam switch control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... and since you know me (kinda) you need to use the high beam wire from either headlight harness as a trigger..... that being said the driver side requires more wire and routing but is easier to access and the passenger side is better because it's closer to the components you are installing but it's definitely harder to access the wire... but either way the trigger works the same and will all work with auto high beams

Thank you smoke, I might need to pick your brain on this one over the phone. Very cool setup with the auto high beams.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would be nice if there was an auxiliary box pre wired with a high beam, reverse light, door lock etc trigger wire. Ford missed on that one

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you smoke, I might need to pick your brain on this one over the phone. Very cool setup with the auto high beams.

I haven't picked mine up yet so I can't look in the owners manual. Is there a high beam fuse you could use an add a fuse link to trigger the relay so driving lights only come on with high beam? I'm not sure how it's set up with the LED headlights for fuses, seems cleaner then splicing into the wiring to the light. I've been thinking about using an Aux switch to trip a relay and provide a ground to the Driving lights, while using an add-a-line fuse tap to trigger the relay supplying the power to the driving lights. I'd have the use of high beams around town and just flip the switch for off road or hwy, then its a matter of truck hi/low for turning the driving lights on or off. the only downside is you have to add more relays. The Driving lights I'm going to run use more amps than Aux 1 can provide.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone wired this configuration to work with the Auto High beam? I would like the control the light with the upfitter switch and also use the Auto High Beam to control the same light. Thanks

Yes, wiring it with the relays and diodes triggered by the high beams makes it work equally with either automatic or manual high beams. It works great. I had worried that the brighter lights would reflect back and auto-dim my headlights, but that has only happened a few times with particularly reflective large road signs.

flzrider

Reaction score
I haven't picked mine up yet so I can't look in the owners manual. Is there a high beam fuse you could use an add a fuse link to trigger the relay so driving lights only come on with high beam? I'm not sure how it's set up with the LED headlights for fuses, seems cleaner then splicing into the wiring to the light. I've been thinking about using an Aux switch to trip a relay and provide a ground to the Driving lights, while using an add-a-line fuse tap to trigger the relay supplying the power to the driving lights. I'd have the use of high beams around town and just flip the switch for off road or hwy, then its a matter of truck hi/low for turning the driving lights on or off. the only downside is you have to add more relays. The Driving lights I'm going to run use more amps than Aux 1 can provide.

Using an add-a-fuse sounds like a great idea, but I looked through the owners manual (you can find them online) and did not find any fuse dedicated to the high beams. I guess we will just have to tap the high beam lead on the headlights.

Yes... and since you know me (kinda) you need to use the high beam wire from either headlight harness as a trigger..... that being said the driver side requires more wire and routing but is easier to access and the passenger side is better because it's closer to the components you are installing but it's definitely harder to access the wire... but either way the trigger works the same and will all work with auto high beams

Good info. Can you provide a pin number or wire color for the high beam lead on the driver and passenger side?

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using an add-a-fuse sounds like a great idea, but I looked through the owners manual (you can find them online) and did not find any fuse dedicated to the high beams. I guess we will just have to tap the high beam lead on the headlights.

Good info. Can you provide a pin number or wire color for the high beam lead on the driver and passenger side?

Go to the 2nd page of this thread:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f265/help-spst-relay-connect-light-bar-high-beams-54732/

I wired in my S8 and Onx6 light bars to my highbeams. The pics show the correct wire to tap on the drivers side for a 2017. I'm not sure if it's the same for the 2018s, like how the aux wires are now different colors. BTW, I love having the Aux lights triggered by the highbeams- it's so easy and just works really well. Good luck!

flzrider

Reaction score
Go to the 2nd page of this thread:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f265/help-spst-relay-connect-light-bar-high-beams-54732/

I wired in my S8 and Onx6 light bars to my highbeams. The pics show the correct wire to tap on the drivers side for a 2017. I'm not sure if it's the same for the 2018s, like how the aux wires are now different colors. BTW, I love having the Aux lights triggered by the highbeams- it's so easy and just works really well. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.

I currently have my lights setup to be turned on/off with AUX 1 & 2. I would like to make one of the unused AUX switches (maybe AUX 6) change the way the lights function. In one position, the lights will operate like I just mentioned, in the other position the lights will turn on whenever the highbeams are on. Basically I want the lights to be on with the highbeams but I also want the ability to manually operate them as well. I think I can accomplish this with 2 relays.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.

I currently have my lights setup to be turned on/off with AUX 1 & 2. I would like to make one of the unused AUX switches (maybe AUX 6) change the way the lights function. In one position, the lights will operate like I just mentioned, in the other position the lights will turn on whenever the highbeams are on. Basically I want the lights to be on with the highbeams but I also want the ability to manually operate them as well. I think I can accomplish this with 2 relays.

You also need two diodes to prevent backfeed to the combined circuit when using individual switches 1 or 2.

flzrider

Reaction score
You also need two diodes to prevent backfeed to the combined circuit when using individual switches 1 or 2.

Diodes aren’t necessary if using relays.

See the diagram here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f265/help-spst-relay-connect-light-bar-high-beams-54732/#post1179657

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, if using a DPDT relay for two circuits that’s a great solution.

In my case I had three circuits and 25A load so it was more practical to use diodes.