Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2]

Can LED bulbs be upgraded?

This is a discussion on Can LED bulbs be upgraded? within the Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
I have the LED head lights but I feel that they are not the brightest. I was not able to ...

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Can LED bulbs be upgraded?
I have the LED head lights but I feel that they are not the brightest. I was not able to find threads discussing this issue or if it is even possible or the whole assembly is in one piece (looks like it).

Major hacking would be needed to for such an upgrade I believe. Already have 36" LED bar for off roading.

Cheers.

AJ-Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Saddly not really. I get this a lot, as we have our own brand of LED Conversion Kits and I get a LOT of Ford OEM LED customers who want to swap them.

The ford housings are slightly different in design (same footprint) as they have an LED bulb inside... but it's a sealed LED bulb. So you can't just put an aftermarket kit in, as it's a proprietary format/bulb style.

DOWNGRADING to a halogen housing is possible but will require some custom wiring on your part, as the wiring your truck has now is setup for the LED system from Ford, NOT standard halogen lights.

It will require some "hacking" while maybe not MAJOR but figuring out the wiring circuits.

I'd recommend sticking with what you have. You have a really good LED system, designed for use on the road. OEM manufacturers have to stick within certain parameters when they build their vehicles, and lighting is one of those things they can't screw with too much. Aftermarket kits are, for the most part, usually illegal for everyday road use because they put out so much light. So that's why your factory OEM LED seem kinda crappy compared to aftermarket kits.

What i'd recommend from you on your Gen2, if you have not already, put in a Baja Designs or FordRaptorLights fog light kit. We sell both and can get you really great pricing on a kit. The kits will give you a lot of great useable light that will make you feel a bit better driving. It'll fill in that "gap" your headlights give you.

I can talk to you about a few different options.
AJ-Raptor likes this.

LED HEADLIGHTS, FOG LIGHTS, LIGHTBARS, BULBS & MORE
PM us for Pricing on Lights, Bumpers, Winches & More
Like us on FaceBook - Follow us on Instagram - www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
4x4TruckLEDs.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Originally Posted by AJ-Raptor View Post
I have the LED head lights but I feel that they are not the brightest. I was not able to find threads discussing this issue or if it is even possible or the whole assembly is in one piece (looks like it).

Major hacking would be needed to for such an upgrade I believe. Already have 36" LED bar for off roading.

Cheers.
Where did you install a 36" light bar? Pics?

2017 Magnetic SuperCrew Cab 802a; Raptor Tech Pkg w/Adaptive Cruise; 17" Forged Aluminum (Beadlock) Wheels; 2nd Row Heated Seats; Moonroof; Tailgate Step; Exterior & Hood Graphics Pkgs (both removed); Carbon Fiber Pkg; Engine Block Heater. Added: new V1; BlendMount; XPEL Ultimate & Stealth Film; Tinted Front Windows; BedRug, Roll-N-Lock A-Series bed cover
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

We have this 40" kit available but you lose the front camera:

ZROADZ Top of Front Bumper LED Light Mounting Kit Combo with 40″ Curved Light Bar and Wiring Harness - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

I know Baja makes a 30" kit that we sell also, but not 36" (weird size light bar)
Attached Thumbnails
z325662_front_reg__10754.1503726115.1280.1280.jpg  

Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDs.com View Post
What i'd recommend from you on your Gen2, if you have not already, put in a Baja Designs or FordRaptorLights fog light kit. We sell both and can get you really great pricing on a kit. The kits will give you a lot of great useable light that will make you feel a bit better driving. It'll fill in that "gap" your headlights give you.
OP- These kits are not DOT approved, so keep that in mind. Might get a nice fat ticket from a cop who is sick of aftermarket LED lights bolted to trucks.

Nobody gives a crap where your post was sent from...
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

No aftermarket lights that anybody talks about on here, except the Rigid SAE, are DOT approved. And that still might not even be ROAD LEGAL just passed safety inspections thus the SAE rating. But the OP said he/she is already running a 36" LED bar which we know is not road legal so I don't think that's his/her concern.

As long as you don't run all your lights on, you should not have issues. If you run your lights all on, yeah you'll have issues.

I only ever recommend folks who do the 3x pairs of fog lights only run 1 pair normally, the other 2 pairs are designed for when you are off-road and need that extra light, while the smaller pair (S2s or KC HiLITES) are for everyday driving.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
Where did you install a 36" light bar? Pics?
Have a whole build thread on it but here is the final result

ASD1 likes this.

AJ-Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

plenty bright

Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Jake17 View Post
plenty bright
Huh??? I saw you post this same photo in a bunch of posts... not sure what your photo has to do with what information AJ was looking for on his headlights...
Micha likes this.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by AJ-Raptor View Post
Have a whole build thread on it but here is the final result

That looks slick! Nice job. I'd like to get a light bar at some point, but I absolutely won't give up even partial functionality of my front camera - I love that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

802a luxury package | technology package | twin panel roof | tailgate step | heated steering wheel | 2nd row heated seats | spray in bed-liner
CFIT is offline   Reply With Quote