Best light for the money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWE

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what everybody thought was the best light for the price. I know rigids are thought to be the best and come with the highest price tags. Baja's seem to be pretty popular as well. Then I know some people who get $40 light bars off amazon and its almost hard to tell they aren't more expensive. Then I see other brands like vision x around sometimes. Whats the bang for the buck option out there?

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You get what you pay for, BD's are the brightest and highest priced, Rigids are good and priced a little lower. KC's and VisionX make good lights too. A friend bought a Chinese light bar that seemed like a steal at first, a few years later the lenses are cloudy and light isn't as bright, in fact my handheld Rigid flashlight will drown out his light bar. Again, you get what you pay for.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what everybody thought was the best light for the price. I know rigids are thought to be the best and come with the highest price tags. Baja's seem to be pretty popular as well. Then I know some people who get $40 light bars off amazon and its almost hard to tell they aren't more expensive. Then I see other brands like vision x around sometimes. Whats the bang for the buck option out there?

Bang for the buck with a legit company, I'd say Rigid. Pure bang for the buck, the amazon bars can be decent. I have an Auxbeam one for my golf cart I got from there, and am pretty pleased with it. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hold up to really heavy/rough use. Read the reviews for a brand that's been around a while, check the output/type of LEDs, etc.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Speaking from personal experience. I have used:
Rigid
Baja Designs
KC Hiliites
VisionX
TMX Blackhawk (cheap lights)
Whelen

Baja Designs hands down is the best light for the money. I am in the process of removing my other brand lights and going strictly Baja Designs and I started this before I even worked for Freedom Motorsports. I have found that you do not need as many lights on your truck when using Baja Designs since they work so well. I currently have a 40" OnX6 Arc in my bumper using Driving/Combo clear. There is a straight bar 40" OnX6 behind the grill in Amber. I switched out my VisionX cannon's on the hood mounts with Baja Designs XL80's, wow what a difference there! I have Baja squadrons pros on the side of my light bar bed rack for side lighting. On that rack, there are 3 whelens and at the time I thought these lights were awesome, not anymore but they are great quality. I've removed all my Rigid lights except for the two in the rear bumper because every single Rigid eventually got moisture in them and sent in for warranty multiple times, becomes kinda a pain after a while.

Baja Designs has thermal management with their CopperDrive so they can run their LEDs at 100% providing a better performance light. Most others run their LEDs at 70-80% and they use more to make up the difference so things don't burn up.

Those cheap lights are more for cosmetic purposes. When you are off-roading and getting up to speed, you WANT a quality light that can see down the trail so you can react accordingly otherwise bad things can happen quick. Do not cheap out on lights if you want to use them for a purpose. I've learned the hard way.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All Baja and Rigid here too.
Someone I know has cheap Chinese shit on his truck, the other day he turned them on (30 and a 54 inch curved above the windshield). I could not help to ask him if they were on. Did not bother my eyes looking straight at them. Pretty weak.

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned yesterday in another thread that I have a few Baja Designs kit lights (30" S8 in the upper grill, 10" Onx6 hi-power in the lower grill, and just installed 4 squadron pros and 2 KC Highlights in the Ford Raptor Lights fog brackets). I don't have any experience w/other brands of lights. However, if I could only have one of the Baja Designs front light kits, I would choose the 30" S8 behind the upper grill. The height of that kit really helps to cast light over and down the trail. I have the combo lens and it does a good job of dispersing the light near field and in the distance. Here are four pics showing high beams, the Onx6 hi- power, and the S8 separately, then both the S8 and Onx6 together. To really see the light cast, download the pics and view at 100%. I believe the trees are about 300+ feet away. Now that I have the Squadrons, I'm going to take some new pics for people that may want a comparison between all the current BD kit offerings.

Attachments

• High beams only.jpg
    High beams only.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 68
  • Onx6 HP only.jpg
    Onx6 HP only.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 30-inch S8 only.jpg
    30-inch S8 only.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 65
  • S8 and Onx6 together.jpg
    S8 and Onx6 together.jpg