GEN 2 BD Reverse Kit install with Apollo wire harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHnewbie

Reaction score
BD Reverse Kit install with Apollo wire harness

Finishing up the install of several BD kits on my 2018 SCrew. Want to call attention to a custom wire harness offered by Apollo Optics. When I ordered the lights, Nick mentioned that Apollo offers a custom wire harness that supports using an aux/upfitter switch to operate the reverse lights as well as having them illuminate when shifting into reverse. This harness is nicely done and incorporates a fuse, relay, and diode(s) to allow either voltage source to turn on the reverse lights, and is enclosed in a woven protective sheath. It is conectorized (Delphi Weather Pack) and is plug & play with the BD lights. I don’t see this harness listed on the Apollo website, so you may need to call to order it if you are interested.

I elected to run this harness through the driver side frame rail rather than securing to other wiring outside the frame with wire ties. This was a minor challenge as getting the connectors through the frame took some patience. There are several reinforcing cross members inside the frame rail with limited clearance for the two connectors and a breakout junction for the reverse trigger wire. Due to the size of the relay and fuse holder, the only way to make this work is to pull the harness from the front to the rear. The electrician’s fish tape I attempted to use first was too rigid to get over/under the various obstacles inside the frame rail. Wound up using a small wooden stick (actually a chop stick from my favorite Chinese restaurant) to sort of poke the harness along the inside of the frame. There are many holes in the frame which permit access to do this. In a few cases, it was necessary to use a short piece of wire to pull the harness over an obstacle. I assure you this can be done! My only issue with the Apollo harness is that it is on the edge of being too short, probably because the route through the frame is a bit longer than other routing. Another foot in length would be helpful, but not essential.

The “trigger” wire in the harness attaches to any of several points where power to the OEM backup lights appears. Instead of connecting to the backup light wire in the tail light housing as BD recommends, I attached a PosiTap connector to the wire on the center pin of the round 7 pin trailer connector. This was easy – took about one minute and required no splicing, wire stripping, etc, and is removable instantly if ever necessary. I will put a bead of silicone seal on the PosiTap to keep moisture out.

One of the bigger challenges was tightening the button head allen screws which hold the light fixture to the mounting bracket. There is not sufficient clearance to get a 4mm allen wrench on the screw due to interference with the exhaust pipe. Some here have suggested cutting down an allen wrench to make it fit. Too much trouble for me, so I substituted a stainless cap screw for the allen screw, which makes it easy to tighten this screw with a regular box end metric wrench.

I also purchased an E&G console safe from Apollo after reviewing all the alternatives I could find. The install looks more complicated than some (haven't done it yet) but this is a quality piece, and I like the fact that it leaves some space in the console outside the secure compartment.

Overall, excellent experience dealing with Nick at Apollo. Good prices, good advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
Mission Accomplished

Have just completed the installation of BD Fog Pocket Kit, S8 Grille Bar Kit, and Reverse kit on my 2018 SCrew. A few notes:

1. S8 Grille Bar a PITA to install. Inadequate BD instructions and some missing hardware complicated this a bit. The BD instructions seem to assume a certain amount of prior knowledge/experience and omit useful details which would make life easier for those of us who haven’t tackled this kind of project previously. I recommend an inventory of each kit before beginning work to be sure all the parts are there. Don’t turn a wrench until you have walked through the details of this project carefully, identifying the parts and pieces of the kit and those on the truck you will be dealing with. Probably the most challenging part is removing the trim pieces around the headlights. These basically pull off, but require a significant amount of force and courage. I recommend a trial fitting of the louver panel with the light bar attached before reassembling the entire grille. This will allow you to check/adjust alignment of the light bar, identify routing of wiring, etc. Also check the operation of the lights at this step by touching the appropriate leads to the battery terminals. I also recommend checking camera washer and grille marker lights before getting too far along in the reassembly process. Don’t start this project if you are in a hurry – it will take much longer than you imagine, especially if you are of the “measure twice, cut once” mentality. It is also best done with a helper, although doable solo. Like many of life’s challenges, this one would be much easier the second time.

2. Fog Pocket Kit easy enough except that the screws retaining the bumper support bar and light bracket were too short once the bracket was installed. Had to buy some longer screws (M6-30mm). I ran wiring from the driver side to the pax side at the most forward edge of the front skid plate. There is space to fish the wiring through some brackets which retain the front edge of the skid plate. Pretty much wide open in there and easy to remove in the event of a problem. Some have suggested routing these wires below the grille when this is opened up to install the S8; this will make for a tidy installation but if you should need to get at the wires later for any reason, it will likely be necessary to remove the grille again (nooooooooo!). Also necessary to reverse the faceplate on all six lights to get the logos right side up: 24 screws. As others have suggested, easiest to install the fog pocket lights on the bracket before installing the bracket on the truck. Snug down the mounting screws so that each light can be moved up/down and left/right with a bit of force, then tighten fully when aimed properly.

3. Reverse Kit: see previous post above.

4. Aux switch assignments:

Aux 1: S8 30 in grille bar (9.99 amps)
Aux 2: fog pocket Squadron Pros (4 total, 11.6 amps)
Aux 3: fog pocket S2 Sports (2 total, 1.8 amps)
Aux 4: unused
Aux 5: S8 amber backlights
Aux 6: reverse S2 Sports (2 total, 1.8 amps)

I elected not to use Aux 4 so as to reserve a 10 amp circuit for possible future use. Aux 5 & 6 are rated at 5 amps, way more than the loads connected to them. I installed Weather Pack connectors on each OEM aux/upfitter wire to make it easy to disconnect if needed. The BD harnesses for these lights have a "quick clamp" type connector to attach to the aux sw wires directly instead of Weather Pack, so I made up a short pigtail for each with Weather Pack on one end and bare on the other end to work with the quick clamp connectors. An option would be to cut off the quick clamp and put the Weather Pack directly on the BD harness. Crimping the Weather Pack contacts on the aux/upfitter wires required some finesse, partly because I chose to purchase a cheap crimping tool ($20 on Amazon) rather than a serious ratcheting style crimper for $100+. I recommend the cheap one unless you are going to be doing substantially more of this kind of work. Helpful to do a few practice crimps on scrap wire to get the hang of it before trying it on the aux/upfitter wires. Also a good idea to buy a Weather Pack contact removal tool ($13 on eBay for the genuine Delphi item). Weather Pack connectors also on eBay at reasonable prices. Google "Weather Pack" if you need instructions for installing these connectors. (NOTE: the BD harnesses can be installed without using the Weather Pack connectors if desired. If you are OK with the quick clamp type connectors which come installed on the BD harnesses, no Weather Pack needed.) I used a wire labeling machine to make labels for each harness and aux/upfitter wire to help assure that these get connected properly.

Overall, I am impressed with the apparent ruggedness of the BD lights and wiring harnesses. This is a very doable project even for those with limited experience if you take your time.

Last edited: