BD backup kit and rear facing amber lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well you have S2 Pros and S2 Sports

S2 Sports put out 1,130 lumen each
S2 Pros put out 2,450 each

So you get twice as much light with the Pros. I like the Pros over the Sports... for the same reason I like Squadron Pros over Sports, you get more light and I love a lot of light.

Now I think what you are asking is what is the difference between the Raptor S2 Reverse Kit (Baja Designs Ford, Raptor 2017 S2 Reverse Light Kit - 4x4TruckLEDs.com) which goes for $299.95 MSRP ($269.96 on our site) and the S2 Sport Reverse Kits (LED Auxiliary Lights - Baja Designs - S2 Sport - Page 1 - 4x4TruckLEDs.com) which are $318.95 MSRP ($287.06) on our site.

Well first, the "Standard" S2 Reverse kits are flush mount, which means you'd cut a hole in your bumper and mount them that way. A much better look BUT it requires you to actually CUT a hole in your bumper.

The Raptor S2 Reverse kit uses included brackets that bolt under your bumper, so no cutting. Easier installation and the Raptor S2 kit includes the necessary mounting harware for your raptor.

Baja also makes a "Standard" S2 Pro Reverse Kit which is $441.95 MSRP ($397.76 on our site): LED Auxiliary Lights - Baja Designs - S2 Pro - Page 1 - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

Again, it's a flush mount system.

We offer the Raptor S2 reverse kit with the Sports (which is how they come out of the box) or offer an upgrade to S2 Pros (we do that in our warehouse for you, we swap out the Sports for Pros before we ship them).

Now you can also get different lenses with the S2 (LED Auxiliary Lights - Baja Designs - Lighting Accessories - Replacement Lenses - Page 1 - 4x4TruckLEDs.com)

You can get An Ambger spot or Wide Cornering and then in white/clear you can get a driving/combo, spot and wide cornering.

Now if you are looking for MULTI PURPOSE i'd recommend driving/combos however the most popular are the wide cornering as they are reverse kits, BUT it's still an S2 light so you can definitely put different lenses in. Spots I would not recommend for the back unless you really plan to have a spot pattern out the back... Driving/Combo would be better for that multi purpose as I said.

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and it hit some of the points but it's these two kits I'm questioning.

What's the difference between these two other than the area of lighting zone?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180221-195242.jpg
    Screenshot_20180221-195242.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20180221-195115.jpg
    Screenshot_20180221-195115.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 47

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Raptor kit has Wide Driving lenses while the S2 Sport pairs hve Work/Scene.

The Wide Driving actually have a "spot" style reflector which shines the light through a WIde Driving lense, which makes them WIDE.

The Work/Scene actually use a different reflector which almost FLOODS the light out so it covers more area... basically in a circlular fasion if you will. Picture a spot, but REALLY wide.

So Wide Driving is a WIDE lense left/right while WORK/SCENE is a BIG/WIDE spot.

Kinda make sense? Wish I had a damn photo to illustrate it lol

As for the price difference. The Raptor Kit includes vehicle specific mounting hardware along with a harness to tap into the existing wiring.

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So which style would be better for illuminating the area around the truck so that people can sit behind the truck and kids can play within about a 15-25 foot area behind the truck.

I also like the s2 sport instead of the pros cuz of they lower amp draw so that it doesn't drain the battery of the truck when it's turned off as quickly.

I currently use 1 srm2 rigid light with a diffused lens to light up the area and was wondering if I could accomplish this with a light mounted on the truck instead of a light that I suction cup on an as needed basis.

Thanks for the answers.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd say Work/Scene as it'll flood the entire back and you'd want them aimed upwards a bit instead of down at the ground. Although I think a reverse kit is the wrong product for your intended needs. You really want something mounted up near the truck's bed shooting back, but the work/scene reverse would do the job I reckon.

S2 Pros don't really pull much amperage... you are talking 0.9A each on the Sports vs. 1.66A each on the Pros. That's not a LOT. Yeah it's a difference.

I actually did a side by side between the Rigid D2 and the Squadron Pro... attached is that side by side. The Rigid appear to be brighter what that's the hot spot... if you look at the overall coverage the Baja covers more area then the Rigid does. So the Baja is not as bright but it's not FOCUSED it's spread out everywhere. That's the Work/Scene i was talking about (granted this is a Squadron Pro, not an S2 Sport, so it'll be a BIG difference in the amount of light)

So for you I'd recommend the following

S2 Sports Work/Scene: Baja Designs S2 Sport, Pair LED Work/Scene - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

12' Extension Wire: Baja Designs, Squadron/S2 12' Wire Harness Extension - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

Upfitter Wire: Baja Designs Ford Upfitter Wiring Harness, Squadron (Pro & Sport)/S2 - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

Attachments

• Baja vs Rigid.jpg
    Baja vs Rigid.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 72

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's like the sun is out. Currently my one srm2 works really well so I'm guessing the regular s2 will double the lumen output so it should do the job even better and serve a double duty for me.

I'll touch base when ordering. Getting everything together for fog pockets and reverse lights.

You've been a great help.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No problem glad to help. it can be confusing when you first jump in as there are SO MANY options, but i've been around long enough and tried a LOT of stuff out that I can point you in the right direction.

As I've mentioned we stock all the various lenses/reflectors and a lot of the raptor kits. I also keep the squadrons on hand at all times in every flavor under the sun (s2's included) because i'm always making up kits for folks.

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what light pattern is the standard raptor s2 reverse lights configured in, wide cornering, flood etc?

Can you buy the standard s2 and add a scene/area lens to modify the light output?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what light pattern is the standard raptor s2 reverse lights configured in, wide cornering, flood etc?

Can you buy the standard s2 and add a scene/area lens to modify the light output?

The standard light in S2 Reverse Kit is Wide Cornering. You can put a work/scene lens kit on it for better scene lighting, but according to Baja Designs, the Wide Cornering pattern provides a better reverse light.