GEN 2 Baja Designs "Unlimited" front bumper light kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, I bought this: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Ford-Raptor-2017-Fog-Pocket-Kit-Unlimited.asp

This kit utilizes two Squadron Pros (4,900 lumens each), two Squadron Racers (4,300 lumens each) and two S2 Pros (2,450 lumens each).

Let's get started, shall we?

This is what's included: Lights, brackets, wiring and most importantly stickers :D

Start assembling them from the stuff in the boxes.

Make sure you put the washer on the mounting bolt first before you put the bracket on the light assembly, or you'll have to take them all off again..... cause it won't go on after you put the bracket on the light lol.

So, stainless bolts and nuts are included, but I had one seriously like insta-gall and lock it's self up. sigh. so, it got "removed" by persuasion and replaced. Kinda sucked, the hardware was flawed.

Get the bracket so that the lip faces forward. Assemble like so-
Just get stuff barely snug, you'll be moving stuff around when you get it on the truck.

abrhouston (38).jpg

abrhouston (39).jpg

abrhouston (42).jpg

abrhouston (41).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, with that being said- make sure you flip all of your lenses around, or the writing will be upside down :D

take the little bolt out of the bumper bracket, slide the BD bracket up in there and loosely mount everything with the small allen bolts provided.

Then, get this package out (x2) and connect the two squadrons together.

pictures are right side up when uploaded- the form wants to flip them sideways :/

abrhouston (43).jpg

abrhouston (44).jpg

abrhouston (45).jpg

abrhouston (47).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how to get the drivers side lights over to the passenger side..... hmm.....

this was my best solution that didn't hang down, have a chance to get pinched or get caught up. there is a rubber pad that they just simply lie into when you put it between the bumper and grill. Easy.

so, loosely connect the left side lights to the extension, then run it to the right side lights.

now go find this- it goes from the upfitter switches down to the right side lights.

i ran mine near the fuse box, behind the battery (towards the fender) then went down towards the frame and in front of the fender liner.
both of those pics are looking up under the truck.

Attachments

• abrhouston (48).jpg
    abrhouston (48).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 216
  • abrhouston (49).jpg
    abrhouston (49).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 213
  • abrhouston (50).jpg
    abrhouston (50).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 199
  • abrhouston (51).jpg
    abrhouston (51).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 215
  • abrhouston (52).jpg
    abrhouston (52).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 208
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, ford leaves this huge ass ground on the body. Perfect.
Uh, well, the upfitter harness ground eye is not big enough. So, I reamed out the eye until it fit. Kinda lame.

Stick both grounds on there once you enlarge the hole. Don't use a drill bit, use a reamer. risk of ******* up the eye is very easy with a drill lol

abrhouston (53).jpg

abrhouston (54).jpg

abrhouston (55).jpg

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so each squadron runs 3.5 amps.... x4 .... is 14 amps. You have 2 of these to choose from. A little close for my comfort on load rating, but we'll see if it pops the fuse with extended use.

the S2's use 1.66 per light, so I chose to use a 10 amp switch for that. It allows me to retain a 15amp switch if I choose to use it in the future.

Here's the harness diagram, and I've labeled the fuses for you in the fuse box if one needs to find them.

the forum uploading my pics sideways is getting annoying.

Attachments

• abrhouston (56).jpg
    abrhouston (56).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 164
  • abrhouston (57).jpg
    abrhouston (57).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 166
  • abrhouston (58).jpg
    abrhouston (58).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 172
  • abrhouston (59).jpg
    abrhouston (59).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 172
  • abrhouston (62).jpg
    abrhouston (62).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, hook up the 15 amp one first. and plug both harnesses in. See which one is which (S2's or squadrons) and flip around if needed.
Then, hook up the 10amp one to the S2's once you figure out which one is which.

the T-taps used on the upfitters harness is convenient, but the 10amp power wire required me to squeeze the mouth of the fitting to get a good connection. We'll see if I need to change this or run into an issue.

After you figure out that everything is working, time to tidy up the wires and clean everything up.

bring a wrench and an allen key with you to go tune them once it gets dark out.
Bring 2 pieces of cardboard so you can block one of the squadrons out while tuning the other one (since both are on)

Most inner (racer) should be straight ahead and furthest out you can possibly make them show. Aim both parallel to the truck and very tight.
Middle one (pro) should be just outside of those lights main beam and slightly lower.
S2's should be towards the outside of the Pro's beam and be lower sill than the pros.

Sorry all of my damn pictures are sideways (thanks Vbulletin!)

Here's my S2 back up lights as well, if you want to see how I did those!
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f265/baja-designs-s2-back-up-lights-install-55707/

abrhouston (64).jpg

abrhouston (65).jpg

abrhouston (36).jpg

abrhouston (37).jpg

abrhouston (35).jpg

Last edited:

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to share. Can you post a handful of night time performance shots? I want to see those bad boys in action. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackEvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun fun. Nice write up. I have a set on the way. When my truck arrives, it will be my first mod. Got some hood mounts too. Not real big on light bars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so..... trying to think how im gonna sort this out.
The middle squadron contacts the bumper.
If I had my druthers, I would like to have them more up and centered.
The S2's are so broad they cover the cornering/fog very well- I want the four squadrons firing further down the road.
The pattern on the wall isn't as defined as the picture shows, there is a lot of light being blasted all over the place- but because it is so bright, it is focusing on the beams only.

So, I live with the pattern
or
I trim the bumper
or
I see what the light does if i flip the mounting bracket the other way....which make make them look funky having them not symmetrical/evenly spaced.

furthermore, I think I could take the brackets, flip them around, and it would set the lights back about an inch.... and look bad in the process. I think the S2's would be shrouded from the corner of the bumper and make shadows......

No decent pics on a straight road, I was messing with them on a long dark road and someone called the po-po thinking I was up to no good :flipthebird:

@raptor36 - I will soon as i find a long dark stretch of road :D
@xBryanHoodsx - All of the BD's I've installed over the years come with generous pigtails, and weatherpack connectors. All three of these lights came with a set of terminals to put on a set of wires to plug into them. The harness extensions they put together were just about perfect length, although I prefer techflex sheathing vs. the stiff PVC tubing they used. It looks much cleaner, and is very easy to manipulate.
The ring terminal that was the wrong size for that ground was a bummer :(
@BlackEvo - I'm not a big fan of hood lights, lack of corner visibility from them and blinding you as they shine off the hood kinda defeats the purpose

20171209_195328.jpg

20171209_195339.jpg

20171209_195353.jpg

Last edited: