Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2]

Baja Designs S2 back up lights install

This is a discussion on Baja Designs S2 back up lights install within the Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by WhatExit? If you use that CURT plug your Raptor will think there's a trailer connected. Did you ...

User Tag List

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
If you use that CURT plug your Raptor will think there's a trailer connected.

Did you just tap into the backup light itself then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K1llD4shN1n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #32 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Originally Posted by lottp View Post
Not if you follow all the other directions in the PUTCO instructions (e.g. cutting the red wire in their harness and adding the jumper under the dash for power).

I've had mine this way since the spring with no issues at all.
So, rather than tapping into the factory harness (as described above by the OP) you purchased a PUTCO harness and tapped into it and ran a jumper under the dash?

2017 Magnetic SuperCrew Cab 802a; Raptor Tech Pkg w/Adaptive Cruise; 17" Forged Aluminum (Beadlock) Wheels; 2nd Row Heated Seats; Moonroof; Tailgate Step; Exterior & Hood Graphics Pkgs (both removed); Carbon Fiber Pkg; Engine Block Heater. Added: new V1; BlendMount; XPEL Ultimate & Stealth Film; Tinted Front Windows; BedRug, Roll-N-Lock A-Series bed cover
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Full Access Member

So, rather than tapping into the factory harness (as described above by the OP) you purchased a PUTCO harness and tapped into it and ran a jumper under the dash?

If I’m reading it correctly the putco directions are just for bypassing 12v current to the trailer connection so you don’t need to make the truck think you have a trailer connected to get power

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I suppose a simple t-tap on the reverse lights to a relay instead of the trailer connection is probably easier than this harness + jumper setup

K1llD4shN1n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #34 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Originally Posted by K1llD4shN1n3 View Post
I suppose a simple t-tap on the reverse lights to a relay instead of the trailer connection is probably easier than this harness + jumper setup

Yes! Glad to get this thread back on track until it's not

2017 Magnetic SuperCrew Cab 802a; Raptor Tech Pkg w/Adaptive Cruise; 17" Forged Aluminum (Beadlock) Wheels; 2nd Row Heated Seats; Moonroof; Tailgate Step; Exterior & Hood Graphics Pkgs (both removed); Carbon Fiber Pkg; Engine Block Heater. Added: new V1; BlendMount; XPEL Ultimate & Stealth Film; Tinted Front Windows; BedRug, Roll-N-Lock A-Series bed cover
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Per the instructions on the 92009-60 model, you have to cut a red wire on it's harness and insulate it to remove the load that the truck would sense. You then have to add a jumper under the dash to get an alternate power source back to the tailor.

I still did everything in instructions. The only difference is that I also bought that CURT harness for all the connections to the LED bar instead of tapping into the tail light or other factory wiring locations.

You can't just plug into the CURT harness without doing everything else.
lottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #36 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Getting the lights physically installed was pretty easy. Did like the OP. Great mounting location.

I have the Ford Performance exhaust and had to adjust the tail pipe hanger a little to more perfectly align the tail pipes where they belonged.....otherwise the driver's side only had like 1/8" clearance. I should have done this when I installed the exhaust, but the small amount the driver's side pipe was off was not obvious until I installed the BD lights.

I tested the lights before I decided how to wire them up. They are bright and definitely a major plus when backing into dark areas. I decided they were too bright to have them come on each time I shifted into reverse. So ran a lead wire to the aux switches. This took the longest amount of time. Ran up over the spare tire, then through the frame up to the front of the truck....metal fish tape proved really helpful. Ran the wire in 3/8 in. split loom for extra protection. Came out nice and clean....and did I say these lights are bright? Real nice!
Attached Thumbnails
reverse-light-1.jpg   reverse-light-2.jpg  

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Getting the lights physically installed was pretty easy. Did like the OP. Great mounting location.

I have the Ford Performance exhaust and had to adjust the tail pipe hanger a little to more perfectly align the tail pipes where they belonged.....otherwise the driver's side only had like 1/8" clearance. I should have done this when I installed the exhaust, but the small amount the driver's side pipe was off was not obvious until I installed the BD lights.

I tested the lights before I decided how to wire them up. They are bright and definitely a major plus when backing into dark areas. I decided they were too bright to have them come on each time I shifted into reverse. So ran a lead wire to the aux switches. This took the longest amount of time. Ran up over the spare tire, then through the frame up to the front of the truck....metal fish tape proved really helpful. Ran the wire in 3/8 in. split loom for extra protection. Came out nice and clean....and did I say these lights are bright? Real nice!
Did you get the Work/Scene version?
JeremyFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #38 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG View Post
Not completely following your question.....but the lights I installed were these:

https://fordraptorlights.com/collect...-b-br-hardware

The BD included hardware and harnesses made it lot less work.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG View Post
These are the Wide Cornering pattern. The Wide Cornering pattern provides more usable light over the Work/Scene in this location. If it was mounted higher on the vehicle on a bedrack the Work/Scene would provide more usable light.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com

Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
These are the Wide Cornering pattern. The Wide Cornering pattern provides more usable light over the Work/Scene in this location. If it was mounted higher on the vehicle on a bedrack the Work/Scene would provide more usable light.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com

Thanks for the response. Your response is somewhat confusing in that I have a pair of work/scene lights on order for this exact install. I ordered based upon your website where it says the wide cornering is for lighting zones 1&2 while the work/scene is for zone 7. Can I swap lenses or is it a whole different light?
JeremyFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote