Baja Designs OnX6 Arc Install Woes... Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdsc

Reaction score
So I recently got a new ADD Stealth Fighter bumper and I added the Baja Designs OnX6 Arc light bar. I was also given a specific Baja Designs wiring harness (SKU #64-0118)

Here's the problem, this harness has a few extra leads (power and grounds) it's not a direct plug and play into the up-fitter switch...

I was told that I just remove the harnesses toggle switch and wire those leads into the up-fitter switch. (But nobody could tell me which of these wires goes where, as in the orientation)

AND, then connect the harnesses power lead to the battery, and the 2 grounds, (one to the truck and one to the battery)

So what I don't get is, I thought the up-fitter switch supplies the power and the ground, why would I need to connect another power and ground???

Nobody, and I mean nobody, at ADD or BD can give me clear, straight forward install instructions for this specific harness to use with the GEN2 up-fitter switches....

Talk about frustrating.

Can anyone help with this?

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently got a new ADD Stealth Fighter bumper and I added the Baja Designs OnX6 Arc light bar. I was also given a specific Baja Designs wiring harness (SKU #64-0118)

Here's the problem, this harness has a few extra leads (power and grounds) it's not a direct plug and play into the up-fitter switch...

I was told that I just remove the harnesses toggle switch and wire those leads into the up-fitter switch. (But nobody could tell me which of these wires goes where, as in the orientation)

AND, then connect the harnesses power lead to the battery, and the 2 grounds, (one to the truck and one to the battery)

So what I don't get is, I thought the up-fitter switch supplies the power and the ground, why would I need to connect another power and ground???

Nobody, and I mean nobody, at ADD or BD can give me clear, straight forward install instructions for this specific harness to use with the GEN2 up-fitter switches....

Talk about frustrating.

Any color that is not black is the power. Black is ground. Simply connect the colorized wire to the up gutter wire (remove any relays switches or in line fuses from the harness) and then ground the black to the battery. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Talk about frustrating.

Call me if you need more help. 781-603-8182. Jeff

OP
OP
R

rdsc

Reaction score
Any color that is not black is the power. Black is ground. Simply connect the colorized wire to the up gutter wire (remove any relays switches or in line fuses from the harness) and then ground the black to the battery. Done.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Call me if you need more help. 781-603-8182. Jeff

OK, but they are telling me that due to the power of this light, and the mode feature, that I need the relay that's built into the harness....

Also, there are 3 wires coming out of the harnesses toggle switch. So what do I do with the 3rd wire?

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BD SKU #52-4003

40" Arc, so looks like it is 21amp.

So I cannot even hook this light up to the up-fitter switch?

Not without a relay. You'll have to take the power wire from the BD switch and hook that to a 30 amp relay. The relay is hooked to the battery and the upfitter switch.

OP
OP
R

rdsc

Reaction score
Not without a relay. You'll have to take the power wire from the BD switch and hook that to a 30 amp relay. The relay is hooked to the battery and the upfitter switch.

There is a relay built into this harness. I'm wondering if that will do it...

This is the kind of back and forth I've been dealing with. It's been extremely difficult to get a straight answer...

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a relay built into this harness. I'm wondering if that will do it...

This is the kind of back and forth I've been dealing with. It's been extremely difficult to get a straight answer...

Seems pretty simple then. Unhook the wire from the bd switch and attach it to the upfitter wire.

One of the wires going to the switch clearly goes to the positive side of the battery and has a ring connector on it. It's red. The other is black and is grounded at the battery and goes to the light via the switch. The last wire and the one that needs to go to the upfitter wire is also red and only goes to the light and switch. On the bd switch it will be red buy also opposite the red wire with a ring connector on it

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Where did you buy the light from? Any Baja Designs dealer should be able to help you.

So the OnX6 bars have a feature that let's you dim the light. That's what the 3rd wire is for. Applying a short negative current (ground) to this, toggles that dim feature.

It's optional and not required.

So what you do is this

First, you'll need a relay to power the OnXt bar from your upfitters, they just pull too much power

Second, you'll use one of the upfitters (it doesn't matter which now, you're using the upfitter to power the relay on/off, which in turn will power the light bar from the battery)

So on the OnX6 weatherpack connector you'll see colors. A Black, white and green. Black is negative, white is positive, green is the DIMMER toggle (that would get ground/negative to toggle the dim feature).

You can wire that green wire to a relay, and in turn to an upfitter. You CANNOT wire the green wire direclty to your upfitter, because the upfitters put out positive voltage. So you'd use a relay to basically turn the relay on/off but instead of positive power, you'd be triggering negative power. You can use an upfitter to dim the bar. But it's not like you'd expect. Meaning, turning the upfitter ON will dim the bar, but turning it OFF won't stop that dim. Doesn't work that way. It's a toggle. Apply that negative once, it dims it. Apply it again, it stops the dim. Make sense? So you'd basically turn upfitter ON/OFF (or leave it on) to dim it. Toggle it back on/off again to turn the dim off.

Got it? If you don't know how to wire in relays you should look at some youtube videos. They are not that difficult to understand really once you look at some videos.

That harness you are using btw (64-0118) is not for the upfitters. It's got it's own switch.

What i'd do, if i were you. Make my own harness. Cut all that other "stuff" off it. Use the wiring harness, plug it into your bar and right when it starts splitting off, cut it. So you have 3 wires now. Your positive, negative and your control cable.

OP
OP
R

rdsc

Reaction score
Where did you buy the light from? Any Baja Designs dealer should be able to help you.

So the OnX6 bars have a feature that let's you dim the light. That's what the 3rd wire is for. Applying a short negative current (ground) to this, toggles that dim feature.

It's optional and not required.

So what you do is this

First, you'll need a relay to power the OnXt bar from your upfitters, they just pull too much power

Second, you'll use one of the upfitters (it doesn't matter which now, you're using the upfitter to power the relay on/off, which in turn will power the light bar from the battery)

So on the OnX6 weatherpack connector you'll see colors. A Black, white and green. Black is negative, white is positive, green is the DIMMER toggle (that would get ground/negative to toggle the dim feature).

You can wire that green wire to a relay, and in turn to an upfitter. You CANNOT wire the green wire direclty to your upfitter, because the upfitters put out positive voltage. So you'd use a relay to basically turn the relay on/off but instead of positive power, you'd be triggering negative power. You can use an upfitter to dim the bar. But it's not like you'd expect. Meaning, turning the upfitter ON will dim the bar, but turning it OFF won't stop that dim. Doesn't work that way. It's a toggle. Apply that negative once, it dims it. Apply it again, it stops the dim. Make sense? So you'd basically turn upfitter ON/OFF (or leave it on) to dim it. Toggle it back on/off again to turn the dim off.

Got it? If you don't know how to wire in relays you should look at some youtube videos. They are not that difficult to understand really once you look at some videos.

That harness you are using btw (64-0118) is not for the upfitters. It's got it's own switch.

What i'd do, if i were you. Make my own harness. Cut all that other "stuff" off it. Use the wiring harness, plug it into your bar and right when it starts splitting off, cut it. So you have 3 wires now. Your positive, negative and your control cable.

Finally, someone with some real answers.... LOL

I bought the light bar from ADD as an add-on for my bumper, so they weren't very much help, although I did tell them I wanted to wire this light into my up-fitter switches, and they sent me this harness anyway...

As for Baja Designs? They stopped all communication because they couldn't figure it out either and essentially couldn't tell me how to hook this light up via the up-fitter switches...

So I appreciate your help here. I have a couple questions...

1. There is a relay of some sort built into this harness I got, is that not good enough to do what you are suggesting above?

2. Would you be willing to build me this harness and perhaps supply a simple diagram? I would be willing to pay whatever you need for your time and materials. At this point I just want to get this pile of money hooked up and working...

3. If you would be willing to build this harness for me, I would also love to have the mode switching hooked up to a up-fitter switch as well. The BD instructions read, to dim the light toggle the switch once, to go into strobe mode you have to toggle the switch 3 times. It would be awesome to have this feature on an up-fitter switch.

Thoughts?

Last edited: