Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. Use the high beam wire as the trigger wire for the relay and pull power from the Aux switch. This way, the Aux switch would effectively "arm" the auxiliary lights, but they wouldn't be activated until you hit the high beam switch. This method would allow you to choose whether or not your high beams switch activated your high beams only or activated your auxiliary lights and your high beams.

This is exactly how most of my lights are wired.

BrettLF

Reaction score
Let's say you get the Sportsmen.
It comes with Spot, Driving, and Wide.
IMO I would get the Driving and Wide in Amber, Spot in clear.
I would hook the Driving and Wide to the same switch, but have the Driving triggered by the high beams. Spot on a separate switch, but also triggered by high beams.

Just how I would run it.

Hamm3r -

Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty handy when it comes to many things but wiring and splicing on a vehicle like this makes me a little nervous.

Can you point me in the right direction for the relays i would need for this if i decided to do it this way?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Personally, I would recommend the Pro kit for your needs. If you're driving on desolate/dark roads, the added brightness of the Squadron Pro (4,900 lumens) over the Squadron Sport (1,900 lumens) will have a substantial impact on your ability to spot critters.

Also, with the Pro kit, you still have the S2 Sport light in a Wide Cornering lens which is the most "road friendly" light that Baja Designs offers.

Amber is meant for use in more hazardous driving conditions where you're visibility would be negatively impacted by white light being reflected back to you. For conditions like fog, rain, dust, or snow, an amber light will increase visibility by decreasing reflectivity. When going with amber, you have the option to have dedicated lenses or by adding Baja Designs Rock Guards which are a snap-on cover that you can easily pop on and off as your needs change. As for which option is better, that really depends on your personal needs and preference.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply. After more research the Pro kit does seem like a better choice for my needs.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there instructions anywhere for this kit? I have a kit that's been sitting around for the last few months, and I finally got off my butt to install it today, and can't make heads or tails out of the mess of wiring harnesses that come with the kit. In what configuration are the harnesses used? What is the method of interfacing Weatherpak connectors on the harnesses to the leads for the upfitter switches under the hood? I understand the basic wiring concept from a diagram standpoint, but could really use some assistance in figuring out how all of the harnesses, etc... are intended to work together.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there instructions anywhere for this kit? I have a kit that's been sitting around for the last few months, and I finally got off my butt to install it today, and can't make heads or tails out of the mess of wiring harnesses that come with the kit. In what configuration are the harnesses used? What is the method of interfacing Weatherpak connectors on the harnesses to the leads for the upfitter switches under the hood? I understand the basic wiring concept from a diagram standpoint, but could really use some assistance in figuring out how all of the harnesses, etc... are intended to work together.

I receive my pro kit Tuesday. I sure hope there are instructions.

To whomever has installed one of the "kits" what connectors to the wiring harness connect to? I'd like to buy them now so I can have them when the kit arrives. Or does the kit come with the connectors I can attach to the bare uppfitter wires?

Does the kit show you the recommended way to run the wires from the driver side lights to the passenger lights?

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We will be having one of the Prototype trucks in soon. I will make sure to get detailed photos and extra notes for how everything is wired.
This will help make it easier to install and avoid any confusion for future customers.

Thanks for posting up! We definitely don't see it as bashing. Feedback is always welcome.

-Bailey, Baja Designs

Just received my "pro" kit and guess you forgot about this. Instructions in the kit, are not what I'd call instructions. Nothing on how to mount the lights to their individual brackets or to the main bracket and each main bracket was not marked to identify driver side or passenger side. No information on the wiring harnesses, ill look more at that tomorrow. So far, really disappointed.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just received my "pro" kit and guess you forgot about this. Instructions in the kit, are not what I'd call instructions. Nothing on how to mount the lights to their individual brackets or to the main bracket and each main bracket was not marked to identify driver side or passenger side. No information on the wiring harnesses, ill look more at that tomorrow. So far, really disappointed.

Sorry about that. We have recently made changes to our Product Development team in hopes of improving instructions with a lot more detail. We are making our way through the kits. If you have any questions don't hesitate to call our customer service and tech support team at 800-422-5292

-Bailey, Baja Designs
[email protected]

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hmm - I guessed on mine too, the brackets were about 1/2” too wide so I used the bolts and lock washers to squish them together...

Is there a passenger/driver side difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm - I guessed on mine too, the brackets were about 1/2” too wide so I used the bolts and lock washers to squish them together...

Is there a passenger/driver side difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm in the middle (really the last part) of my install. I'll write up how I managed the install and suggest pointers for future installers. Those lock washers should be installed between the bracket and the lights so they can GRIP the lights tight to prevent movement. Bedrug just delivered. Gonna be a busy day. :biggrin: