Backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marsh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I installed the 92009-60. It is very nice for the price.

About 10 posts up in this thread before the battle of the electricians, the poster lottp told me about this harness that worked perfectly.

CURT 7-pin plug-and-play T-Connector (P/N: 55384):
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-55384-Cu...keywords=55384

It plugs in-between the 7-pin connection under your truck (behind the bumper, next to the spare tire).

The attached 4-pin connector on the CURT harness plugs right in t the LED bar, then you tap in the reverse light wire to the center wire on the 7-pin portion of the same harness. Since I have the BLISS pro trailer option, I did have to do a power connection under the dash so that it wouldn't detect anything and still provide a 12V source (their included instructions show you how to do this).

Thanks!!!

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lottp,

I ordered the harness which should help me avoid some work. I see what you mean about needing a spacer of some kind. I am trying to come up with a good solution. I bet 3M or somebody makes some sort of dense foam that is adherent so that I can stick it on the back of the included brackets and clear the bolts and bracket on the truck but I wonder if the tailgate will clear it. This should be interesting. Thanks again.

No problem...glad that worked out well!

I just happened to have some stuff around for a spacer, but I really hope Putco makes something official to help people out. Although not rocket science, asking customers to engineer a solution and procure the extra parts is asking a bit too much for most.

I did find some pretty durable rubber products on Amazon though if needed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8O04XU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I also found this tape to be excellent for this type of thing (and for odds-and-ends around the house):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AOFK85C/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Just don't forget to use adhesion promoter on every surface you plan to stick stuff to!

Last edited:

marsh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the mounting location of the Putco blade but decided I just want backup light. I wonder if the Putco 20" light bar would fit in the same space.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@crash457 I am pretty sure I wired it the way you instructed, with the relay in place and not only didn't it work but my reverse didn't trigger it either.

Crash any help on wiring the relay? My intent is to have the BD reverse lights work when in reverse and also on demand using AUX5.

Lightedreverseswitch.gif

87 - Wired to battery side of Aux 5 (Truck pre-wired bundle)
86 - Wired to switch side of Aux5 (Truck pre-wired bundle)
85 - Wired to ground
30 - Tapped into BD pre-wired hot backup light wiring that is also tapped into the passenger rear brake light
87a - Tapped into other side of BD pre-wired backup light wiring

I know I must have done something incorrectly. I think it is in the 30 and 87a portion. Can you clarify where I connect the two wires from 30 and 87a that I ran all the way to the back of the truck to get the backup lights into the circuit?

Last edited:

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@crash457 I am pretty sure I wired it the way you instructed, with the relay in place and not only didn't it work but my reverse didn't trigger it either.

Crash any help on wiring the relay? My intent is to have the BD reverse lights work when in reverse and also on demand using AUX5.

Lightedreverseswitch.gif

87 - Wired to battery side of Aux 5 (Truck pre-wired bundle)
86 - Wired to switch side of Aux5 (Truck pre-wired bundle)
85 - Wired to ground
30 - Tapped into BD pre-wired hot backup light wiring that is also tapped into the passenger rear brake light
87a - Tapped into other side of BD pre-wired backup light wiring

I know I must have done something incorrectly. I think it is in the 30 and 87a portion. Can you clarify where I connect the two wires from 30 and 87a that I ran all the way to the back of the truck to get the backup lights into the circuit?

Connect fused power from the battery to pin 87.
Connect the lead from the upfitter switch to pin 86.
Connect the lead from the reverse lights to pin 87a.
connect the power for the lights to pin 30.
Ground pin 85.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the lights on the raptor. I realize the hitch would be hard to use with this setup but I don't ever use a trailer so I didn't care about this.

Sideways thumbs up for your pics

thumbs-sideways.jpg

Last edited:

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Connect fused power from the battery to pin 87.

Connect the lead from the upfitter switch to pin 86.

Connect the lead from the reverse lights to pin 87a.

connect the power for the lights to pin 30.

Ground pin 85.

I'm being dense, let me verify what you mean. There are two up-fitter wires.....

- PIN87 - Fused power from battery is battery side up-fitter lead correct?

- PIN86 - other side of upfitter switch?

-PIN87a - Hot side of BD reverse wiring harness in the back correct? Or do you mean the factory reverse lights? If factory, do you know where to tie in?

-PIN30 - Power from what lights? BD reserve lights?

-PIN85 - Ground is easy

If I look at the schematic above the up-fitter switch activates the coil to close the normally open PIN 87 and sending power to the BD reverse lights.

So I guess my issue is where I get fused power from the battery and how I get the normally closed pin wired into the factory backup lights that already have power and really don't need it from the NC PIN.

I must be confused.

Last edited:

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm being dense, let me verify what you mean. There are two up-fitter wires.....

- PIN87 - Fused power from battery is battery side up-fitter lead correct?

- PIN86 - other side of upfitter switch?

-PIN87a - Hot side of BD reverse wiring harness in the back correct? Or do you mean the factory reverse lights? If factory, do you know where to tie in?

-PIN30 - Power from what lights? BD reserve lights?

-PIN85 - Ground is easy

PIN87-This is a fused power lead from the battery, not the upfitter. It needs to be an slways hot wire or at least when the ignition is on.

PIN86-This is a powered lead from the upfitter. This wire that is hot when the switch is on.

PIN87A-This is the wire connected to the factory reverse lights that is powered when the reverse lights are on.

PIN30-This is the power input wire for the BD lights.

PIN85-Ground.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crash is right. Maybe you could say that 87a is a one way check valve? That might help explain it's purpose easier. and of coarse, don't forget to ground the lights themselves.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your patience crash. See if this sounds like the right approach. I think I have it now.

1. Disconnect passenger backup light from BD harness and connect to PIN 87a. This way the power from the backup lights is running from the back to the front, through the solenoid and back to the backup lights through PIN30.

This is the part that had me scratching my head.

Now all I need to figure out where to tap into a switched hot.