Backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Uh...thanks??

Anyone with actual knowledge out there who can chime in? Would there need to be a diode in each positive lead?

Thanks.

Well I know it's possible just am not sure how I'd execute it... no need to be a ****. Better than me giving you false advice and ******** your shit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it's possible just am not sure how I'd execute it... no need to be a ****. Better than me giving you false advice and ******** your shit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to be a ****. Just looking for someone with actual knowledge to share.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a diode in the Aux lead unless you're running multiple lights off that switch. (Backfeeding power to an open switch has no impact unless there are other loads fed from the switch.) Probably a good idea to put one on the lead from the backup lights.

I decided to wire mine up using the aux switch only. I prefer not having super bright backup lights when in town. When I'm in the boonies or backing up the boat, it's no big deal to reach up and hit Aux 6, and no big deal if I forget to immediately turn it off.

Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a diode in the Aux lead unless you're running multiple lights off that switch. (Backfeeding power to an open switch has no impact unless there are other loads fed from the switch.) Probably a good idea to put one on the lead from the backup lights.

I decided to wire mine up using the aux switch only. I prefer not having super bright backup lights when in town. When I'm in the boonies or backing up the boat, it's no big deal to reach up and hit Aux 6, and no big deal if I forget to immediately turn it off.

Thanks. What gauge wire did you run from back to front? 12AWG?

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually the proper way would be to use a relay.

Lightedreverseswitch.gif

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the proper way would be to use a relay.

Lightedreverseswitch.gif

agreed, if you were concerned of power consumption over-rating the switch. Truth be told, it'd be advisable to use all the aux switches as control on a bank of relays to ensure power is under the hood and not hurting the factory wiring- but its overkill on simple/small circuits like the S2's I used.

The way I wired it, I may chase the trailer plug up to the front of the vehicle (since I used the center pole of the round trailer hitch to find reverse "on" vs. the 24? gauge wiring on the tail lights) and simply tap an aux switch into it. Additionally, if the trailer you have DOES indeed have reverse lights, you'd be turning those on manually if needed as well.