GEN 2 10" onx6 installation behind lower grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to look again. You MIGHT be able to get another 1/2" but it'd take some drilling and messing with the bracket. I'd be leery to try. Here's some pics of it. First is from front and next two are sides showing how the light mounts and is adjustable. By the way, now that I aimed it up a bit more, it's crazy bright. Really long throw. 4d21e78645cf88fc4c8a9db65ce19813.jpgf170ce349a207c6f8a2829a4544e579f.jpg0d3b1f972868daa49f04bc4ff2c276de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your last picture answers my question above. I don't see how you get a screw to go through there as that narrow channel extends all the way across the back of the light. Either I'm dumb as a rock or I'm missing something. (Either is entirely possible)

In your last picture, how did you get the screw into the bracket? I don't have a screw in my kit that will fit through the hole in the light and into the swivel portion of the bracket.

Did it come with your kit or did you purchase separately?

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your last picture answers my question above. I don't see how you get a screw to go through there as that narrow channel extends all the way across the back of the light. Either I'm dumb as a rock or I'm missing something. (Either is entirely possible)

In your last picture, how did you get the screw into the bracket? I don't have a screw in my kit that will fit through the hole in the light and into the swivel portion of the bracket.

Did it come with your kit or did you purchase separately?

Yes all of that hardware comes with the kit, including the bolt that goes into the adjustment bracket as seen in that last picture. That is how you can adjust the tilt of the light bar!

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering how long I can get by here in SoCal without a front plate. I'd like to mount it on the passenger side as you did, but I'd like an actual mounting bracket if possible.

Hey Valencia - it's hot as hell there!

Running in SoCal without a plate is EASY. Just keep your temp registration inside your windshield and keep the "paper plates" (dealer ads) on your vehicle while you keep it looking new. That way LEO thinks/sees it as new.

If/when you do get pulled over just tell the LEO that you never got the plates from DMV. You'll get a "fix-it ticket" that'll cost maybe $20 (last time I got one) and THEN you'll have to put the plate on - only to pass visual inspection - after which time you can again go plateless.

Last edited:

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Baja Designs

Onyx 6 install question and help sought.

How did you mount the light to the bracket? There is the stud built into the front of the light that goes in the forward hole in the bracket.

It looks like there is a spot on the rear of the bracket where you screw into the rear of the light to control how much tilt.

I don't have any hardware to go into those holes in the back of the light.

Is it held in place via just the two studs out each side of the front of the light?

Your hardware bag should have included additional hardware to secure the rear of the light.
If it did not please contact me at [email protected] and I will send out a correct parts bag. Occasionally a kit will slip through the cracks.

-Bailey, Baja Designs
[email protected]

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give a shout out to both Rick at Freedom Motorsports and to BD. I ordered a 10" Onyx6 lower grill kit through Rick and when it arrived it didn't include the bracket and harness for the lower grille. Rick jumped on it and contacted BD and they expedited the bracket to me in time for me to install before a trip. Outstanding customer service by both companies, and the quality is beyond compare. Great job!

Grayden

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to look again. You MIGHT be able to get another 1/2" but it'd take some drilling and messing with the bracket. I'd be leery to try. Here's some pics of it. First is from front and next two are sides showing how the light mounts and is adjustable. By the way, now that I aimed it up a bit more, it's crazy bright. Really long throw. 4d21e78645cf88fc4c8a9db65ce19813.jpgf170ce349a207c6f8a2829a4544e579f.jpg0d3b1f972868daa49f04bc4ff2c276de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions for you please. First is how does the lower grill come off, second did you have to remove anything else for the install, and what happens to the 4 tabs for the grill that are now used by the lights frame. And last did you use a 10 amp switch? Thanks in advanced.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lower grille is friction fit and just needs to be pulled off. The four tabs in the middle get cut off.

I put mine on a 15a switch to be ok the safe side, but I expect it would work fine on a 10A.