GEN 2 10" onx6 installation behind lower grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDog

Reaction score
Has anyone done this yet? Any videos or instructional posts out there? I received mine and want to install it Sunday but want as much info beforehand as I can. I hear it's "easy". But want to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the Raptor install kit - should have pretty detailed instructions there no?

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if the entire lower grill needs to be removed/cut out or if we can cut just the space for the lights I the hexagon grill and give it an oem type look? Looking at the pictures on baja’s Site seems like we keep the entire grill and this goes behind. I wonder if a bracket can be made where it mounts as it show but the light is pushed forward to be flush with the grill itself. Cleaner look in my opinion.

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if the entire lower grill needs to be removed/cut out or if we can cut just the space for the lights I the hexagon grill and give it an oem type look? Looking at the pictures on baja’s Site seems like we keep the entire grill and this goes behind. I wonder if a bracket can be made where it mounts as it show but the light is pushed forward to be flush with the grill itself. Cleaner look in my opinion.

Yes, the whole lower grill just pops off for the install. I'm sure some mounting brackets could be made to push the light bar further forward. The plastic cross pieces of the grill can be easily cut with some heavy duty wire cutters. I did this in the upper grill so that I would be able to adjust my S8 30" bar after it was installed (pic).

For what it's worth, the Onx6 output difference with the lower grill on vs off was not even noticeable (Maybe 5%- if that).

My suggestion is to try it first with the grill off and then on and see if you think it's worth cutting up the lower grill or having new parts made.

Attachments

• 20170515_110320.jpg
    20170515_110320.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JDog

Reaction score
I got this installed today. It wasn't too bad. The bracket is pretty slick and you could put spacers in there easily if you wanted to make it flush mount and cut the grill. When the sun goes down we will see how bright this thing is!! f4f4e2beb22a38cf2d35c979b003fbce.jpgbf756951c83fd4d14d178b923c5fe741.jpge6ebc1ff9fce2303fef84f35c05fd722.jpg

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this installed today. It wasn't too bad. The bracket is pretty slick and you could put spacers in there easily if you wanted to make it flush mount and cut the grill. When the sun goes down we will see how bright this thing is!!

Nice and congrats! I really love the extra light the Onx6 adds to the OEM lights. Also, it's pretty easy to adjust by just popping that lower grill off, if needed. I've adjusted the positions of my Onx6 and S8 30" bars a couple times trying to fine-tune things.

Where are you going to mount your front plate now? I did mine to the side.

Anyway, enjoy the illumination!

OP
OP
J

JDog

Reaction score
Nice and congrats! I really love the extra light the Onx6 adds to the OEM lights. Also, it's pretty easy to adjust by just popping that lower grill off, if needed. I've adjusted the positions of my Onx6 and S8 30" bars a couple times trying to fine-tune things.

Where are you going to mount your front plate now? I did mine to the side.

Anyway, enjoy the illumination!

For now I'm going to roll with no front plate and see how it goes. It's required in Texas but I've had a friend roll with no plate and he's received one warning in a couple of years so I'll test the waters. How'd you mount yours to the side? Just use the same bracket and rivet it to the bumper like it was done at the dealership?

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now I'm going to roll with no front plate and see how it goes. It's required in Texas but I've had a friend roll with no plate and he's received one warning in a couple of years so I'll test the waters. How'd you mount yours to the side? Just use the same bracket and rivet it to the bumper like it was done at the dealership?

The "no plate" option sounds good, but hard to get away w/that in So Cal.

I drilled a couple holes into the side part of the lower grill and fastened the plate on w/small bolts while I had the lower grill off (pic).

How did your night test go w/the new Onx6?

Attachments

• 20170515_135340.jpg
    20170515_135340.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 174

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "no plate" option sounds good, but hard to get away w/that in So Cal.

I drilled a couple holes into the side part of the lower grill and fastened the plate on w/small bolts while I had the lower grill off (pic).

How did your night test go w/the new Onx6?

I'm wondering how long I can get by here in SoCal without a front plate. I'd like to mount it on the passenger side as you did, but I'd like an actual mounting bracket if possible.