GEN 2 10" light bar for fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elite_KG

Reaction score
Can you show how you wired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty straight forward. Black wire from the light goes to ground. Either to the negative battery post, any common ground post or to the frame or similar metal. The red wire from the light goes to the upfitter wire found under the hood on the passenger side. There are two sets of six wires loose ends under the hood on the passenger side. One set is the hot wires from the switches and the other set is unpowered wires that pass through the firewall to the cab. My "hot" wires were taped up and further over toward the passenger side.
Very simple as lomg as you get the right set of wires from the upfitters. The first bundle I found were the "pass through", unpowered wires. Had to look a little deeper and more toward the passenger side. They are still easily accessible.

If your light or lights pull more amps than the upfitter switch supports, the wiring gets a little more complicated. Usually the light will come with a relay if it pulls more amps; atleast Rigid lights do.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the 10" Rigid SR Diffused. Diffused is designed at 60 degree light throw. Figured this would be best for the angle of the bumper pointing the lights to the sides. When I tested at night the angle leaves about a truck width section only partially illuminated. Of course this area is filled with headlight low beams and really lights up with the brights. The 5600 lumen floods combined with the headlights cover a very wide range. Definitely easy to see while cornering.

I will try to get some decent pics up for those interested in this option for fogs.

Any chance you have some pictures of the light throw at night? I'm looking at getting the same setup as yours and am hoping they work well as cornering/fog lights.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get you some photos of what I did.

Btw definately get the wide cornering lens on these if you go this route.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd be curious to see how you mounted the S8's as well...they might be a little too bright for me but I like the look and amber backlighting.

Would you say they're as bright as the high beams, brighter, or somewhere between the highs and lows?

Elite_KG

Reaction score
I can try to get some some pics this weekend. I can tell you the light is directed at about 45 degress from center. Great for "cornering lights". With just the fogs on there is a "darker" spot in the center. This is fine for me as the low beams will fill this area perfectly. With the headlights and fogs you habe about 160+ degress of light coverage.

I drove at dusk into night last weekend with just the fogd and running lights. No flash from other cars as they are low and level. They may or may not work well in the fog. The angle and positioning are good but 5600 lumens doffused may throw a glare.

I am satisfied with how it turned out. Wouldnt change it.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can try to get some some pics this weekend. I can tell you the light is directed at about 45 degress from center. Great for "cornering lights". With just the fogs on there is a "darker" spot in the center. This is fine for me as the low beams will fill this area perfectly. With the headlights and fogs you habe about 160+ degress of light coverage.

I drove at dusk into night last weekend with just the fogd and running lights. No flash from other cars as they are low and level. They may or may not work well in the fog. The angle and positioning are good but 5600 lumens doffused may throw a glare.

I am satisfied with how it turned out. Wouldnt change it.

Thanks for the response! They sounds perfect for me - how difficult was it to fabricate the mount?

Elite_KG

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see how you mounted the S8's as well...they might be a little too bright for me but I like the look and amber backlighting.

Would you say they're as bright as the high beams, brighter, or somewhere between the highs and lows?

Left:
IMG_0082_zpspiblfwex.jpg

Left:
IMG_0083_zpspih1othc.jpg

Center:
IMG_0085_zpshywdttbv.jpg

Center w/low beams:
IMG_0087_zpslcscbddc.jpg

Center w/ high beams:
IMG_0089_zpsmlqatgod.jpg

All pics taken at dusk. The lights are likely brighter than both low ans high beams, but the light is "diffused" and spreads quikly. If you look right at them in the dark they are blinding; 5600 lumens per lamp is a ton! (Well more than 5 tons)

The brackets arent too hard to make. 1.5" aluminum angle about 14" long. Drill two hole that line up with factory bumper bracing holes. The clips on the factory bolts can be tricky to remove. You will need to buy a nut for the larger bumper bolt and i bought stainless hardware (nuts bolts washers) to mount. Cant remember the exact sizes but they were the sized to fit through factory holes.

I took a while to make mine, but Im pretty **** about fot and finish. It took longer to develop a plan than to cut and drill the angle. Depends on you level of skill and experience work with no directions or exact plan.

Last edited:

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a while to make mine, but Im pretty **** about fot and finish. It took longer to develop a plan than to cut and drill the angle. Depends on you level of skill and experience work with no directions or exact plan.

Much appreciated!!!

Johngm45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I found a company offering brackets and 13" liight bars .. diod dynamics ? Anyone heard of this company ?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, we're an authorized dealer for Diode Dynamics and their new kits are available. They're available with brackets only, with 6" light bars on each side or 12" light bars on each side. The light bars are available in two different patterns: Driving (SAE legal for high beam use) and Wide (SAE legal for fog light use).

Here's a shot of the 12" kit:
12in_raptor_installed.jpg

I don't have them up on the site just yet, but if any of y'all are interested, let me know and I'll get you squared away!

Let me know if y'all have other questions!

Johngm45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, we're an authorized dealer for Diode Dynamics and their new kits are available. They're available with brackets only, with 6" light bars on each side or 12" light bars on each side. The light bars are available in two different patterns: Driving (SAE legal for high beam use) and Wide (SAE legal for fog light use).

Here's a shot of the 12" kit:
12in_raptor_installed.jpg

I don't have them up on the site just yet, but if any of y'all are interested, let me know and I'll get you squared away!

Let me know if y'all have other questions!

I do, I want the 12" setup but not sure if I want amber to run with DRL's or white for night driving ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk