Xpel Ult vs Suntek Ultra vs Vinyl wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What information and facts do you have to back this up? Are you comparing apples-to-apples, latest product vs. latest product?

My opinions is based on having xpel on my bmw x5 before i sold it and it got quite yellowish after 4 plus years. Meanwhile my friend has a mustang with suntek and it looks still as good as when applied 5 years later.

I would go with Suntek (which i did)

Also not sure what the other guy is talking about i have suntek on my raptor headlights with zero iasues.

My opinion is just that an opinion but it is based on experience with both products

Same here

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did my research. Went with Suntek Ultra. Go with xpel if you'd like. Called at least 5 installers and read multiple threads online. That's what lead me to my decision. Now change your text color so that people can actually read it

Glad you're happy with Suntek. I'm happy with XPEL and my research indicates who gives a shit. We all make our choices and it's clear that both will do the job. I don't like when people bash products as most have no idea what impact opinions posted as facts sound like on the internet and how long they are seen ("forever").

And I see you didn't tell us what experts said not to clear bra the headlights.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my research. Went with Suntek Ultra. Go with xpel if you'd like. Called at least 5 installers and read multiple threads online. That's what lead me to my decision. Now change your text color so that people can actually read it

I have them all on different vehicles for different reasons

Black cars get xpel on bumpers and suntek ultra everywhere else - noticeably less orange peel with suntek vs xpel on dark cars

Lighter color cars get xpel since it's more durable

XPEL

Reaction score
Just want to thank all those that use our film. Just want to clear the air and ask a question, what is the purpose of paint protection film? It is to PROTECT your paint. Having clear bra on your vehicle gives you this optimal protection on and off road with your Raptor. Also wanted to answer chi_wizzy's concern about headlight film. From our experience putting headlight films on Raptors we have seen no problems. If you are still worried best bet is to contact your local dealership to help clarify.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just want to thank all those that use our film. Just want to clear the air and ask a question, what is the purpose of paint protection film? It is to PROTECT your paint. Having clear bra on your vehicle gives you this optimal protection on and off road with your Raptor. Also wanted to answer chi_wizzy's concern about headlight film. From our experience putting headlight films on Raptors we have seen no problems. If you are still worried best bet is to contact your local dealership to help clarify.

I didn't even know you guys were on here. I'm a lifelong customer, it's saved my bacon several times. Thanks for the great product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bemaro

Reaction score
Some input...

I have been installing paint protection films since 2008, and although it is not as long as some other installers, I have noticed a recent change in Xpel Ultimate's adhesive. It seems to get marked very easily during the installation process. I have always liked how aggressive the film is for certain areas of the vehicles, but at the same time I can see that in some future this can pose a risk during the removal process. The aggressiveness in film has meant that if I ever had to lift the film, I would get a line at the edge of where I would stop pulling(idk if this makes sense... like at the end of the "pocket"). It was always time consuming to make it go away, but it certainly always did as long as I would give the film the same amount of stretch when I laid it back down. Easier said then done of course.

Personally I have been using SunTek PPF ULTRA since it came out late 2016, early 2017 and it is an all-around great film. The installation is much easier and the adhesive is very forgiving. I can remove and reinstall panels without worrying about stretch marks or premature adhesion which is one of the biggest concerns when I install Xpel Ultimate paint protection film. I traveled out to the Caribbean to install Xpel Ultimate on a black 2017 Ford Raptor and the adhesive was sticking prematurely which was always normal in this film, but the issue that arose was that the areas that were sticking prematurely were getting marked very easily and on a black paint job they were very noticeable(in my eyes). This was back in early June of this year and unfortunatley I had to redo two panels because of this. I ordered a partial roll to find a solution to this issue about 3 weeks ago and I did.

I have adjusted my installation solution to cope with Xpel's premature adhesion and am more than capable of installing Xpel so it is not so much the issue now. I just keep hearing from some installers that long-term use of the film can lead to head-aches when removing since it's adhesive is very aggressive. I have found this to be true for some vehicles which needed panels removed from installations done 2+ years ago. It has to be removed PROFESSIONALLY. On the other hand, I have had some clients remove their SunTek installs on their own with minimal advice before they turned around to resale their vehicle. I will install whatever the client asks for because at the end of the day, they will be a part of my experience and manufacture's warranty is legally binding as long as it is OEM factory paint, not repainted. Of course I will share concerns and advice and in some cases have them sign a waiver if a product is notorious for problems.

On another note, Xpel has been changing a lot of things including their staff, previously their dealer support didn't take care of me too well so their change to me is promising. SunTek staff is always fast at responding and the best benefit that I find to using SunTek is that they have a major warehouse here in Southern California. Oh, and as far as brand value, they were purchased by Eastman Chemical Company which is Llumar... so as far as warranty goes you know they will do what it takes to keep the best quality control and reputation.

Anyways... below is a link to the Raptor video installation at the Caribbean and some Pictures. Hope you all enjoy... THESE IMAGES ARE ALL DOWNLOADABLE AND WALLPAPER SIZE!!!

CLICK LINK FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3lXQOhZTJ4

DARWOOD BEACH, ANTIGUA, W.I.
b2e922_4d8126507b0543f399a1b37e5063877b~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

DARWOOD BEACH, ANTIGUA, W.I.
b2e922_dc93c5a1dcc7426aaa1764cafb6eccba~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

RAINY DAY IN ANTIGUA, W.I.
b2e922_cfb2fee72ac94843af1c3db592b394e2~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

DEVIL'S BRIDGE, ANTIGUA, W.I.
b2e922_65c4be8a12d747a79f6ec1f83cab236c~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

CLIENT'S PRIVATELY OWNED BEACH, ANTIGUA, W.I.
b2e922_2e25e34974f0486d9b2f78985bfae385~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

FORD EMBLEM WITH SCORPION TRYING TO AVOID RAIN
b2e922_bcbbb0d37415494fbc3d588efc9e9ecb~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

SUNSET VIEW FROM CLIENT'S HOME
b2e922_caf51ed35b8c4338b6f99a85379d2154~mv2_d_7360_4912_s_4_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Couldn't find much info on this on FRF. Curious what others have done and/or plan to do with their trucks.

I spoke to an installer today. Looks like about $2,950 for Xpel Ultimate for maybe 20% of the truck (front bumper, partial hood, A pillars, headlights, front fenders, rocker panels, fender flares, partial roof, rocker panels). For that much money it's only PARTIAL hood and roof wtf

Same kit in Suntek Ultra (which supposedly just came out around 6 months ago and has a redesigned top coat and a 10yr warranty) is about $800 less, so $2,150.

The same shop asked me if I have considered vinyl wrapping the entire truck. Said about $3,800 and can do the entire truck and comes with a 5 yr warranty. I was excited for my Ingot silver so I was considering doing a similar silver.

Anyhow, what do you guys think? Anybody wrap there's or have experience with it? I'm leaning towards either the Suntek Ultra for $2150 or the entire wrap for $3,800. Still doing my research. Im getting 18x9 +1 wheels with 35 Toyo MT and my Ram with a similar setup is covered in rock chips over the last 3 years. I mean covered if you get up close and personal with the thing. Looking to prevent that. Which also brings up the point, vinyl wrap is around 1mm thinner so most likely doesn't take as well do rock chips as the PPF

I got mine wrapped by Gatorwraps and I am very satisfied! They have a lot of wraps, with lots of types and colors to choose from. You should also check Gatorprints.