Xpel Ult vs Suntek Ultra vs Vinyl wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
I just picked up a black supercrew raptor day before yesterday and plan on having all painted surfaces covered in Xpel. I was quoted $6,500 for the ENTIRE truck.

That's a lot of money, but actually doesn't sound like a bad deal. I was quoted around $5500 for everywhere besides the bedsides and tailgate. And I'm assuming it would be more than $1k to do all that. Most places are charging about $500 PER DOOR. Crazy. So I'm just opting to do the lower/rocker parts of the door

flea_sly

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Im still calling around. And luckily Suntek Ultra costs about 20-30% less and has great reviews so I'll probably go that route. Getting the truck soon. Will update when I get it done

chi,

When I called the detail shop, I told them I only want the XPEL ultimate installed on my truck. When I arrived, he asked me if he could explain the benefits of the newer Suntek Ultra product. He stated the Suntek has less adhesive and is also clearer after application than the XPEL. He said Suntek is minimally thinner, but has the same self healing properties.

He is a dealer and installer of both Suntek and XPEL, so he said he would apply either one for me. He recommended the cheaper Suntek!

I had the new Suntek Ultra installed on the entire front end of my truck, hood, a-pillars, bedside, and front of the sunroof area. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Most people who look at my truck extremely close can't even tell there is a film on it either.

Hope this helps some!

flea

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
chi,

When I called the detail shop, I told them I only want the XPEL ultimate installed on my truck. When I arrived, he asked me if he could explain the benefits of the newer Suntek Ultra product. He stated the Suntek has less adhesive and is also clearer after application than the XPEL. He said Suntek is minimally thinner, but has the same self healing properties.

He is a dealer and installer of both Suntek and XPEL, so he said he would apply either one for me. He recommended the cheaper Suntek!

I had the new Suntek Ultra installed on the entire front end of my truck, hood, a-pillars, bedside, and front of the sunroof area. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Most people who look at my truck extremely close can't even tell there is a film on it either.

Hope this helps some!

flea

Awesome. That sounds about right. Where on the bedsides did you get it done? And you got full hood, full front fenders? Did they do Stealth on the black bumper?

flea_sly

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. That sounds about right. Where on the bedsides did you get it done? And you got full hood, full front fenders? Did they do Stealth on the black bumper?

I got the entire front hood, front fenders, headlights, a-pillars, area in front of the sunroof, both entire sides of the bed, side mirror caps. Stealth was applied to the entire front bumper, the grill including the Ford emblem, front and rear fender flares.

Worth it IMO.

flea

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There IS quite a bit of info here. I know, because I contributed to a couple threads. Search for Paint Protection Film, PFF, or derivatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suntek is the way to go , great product and diesnt get as yellow as xpel

JayZee

Reaction score
I'm looking to get PPF applied to my 2018 Shadow Black. I found a very reputable installer in my area who is recommending the SunTek Ultra for dark colors because it is clearer than the XPEL film. But he is telling me that he strongly recommends against doing the full hood because of the severe angles and curvature to it. He says the center plastic section of the hood would also have to be removed as there is no pattern for the hood and it would have to be done in a bulk sheet, which would push the film way past its limits. So he is recommending a 24" hood film instead. Has anyone else heard this or had any troubles getting their full hood done? This guy is very experienced (20 years in the business) so I am hesitant to ignore his advice.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get PPF applied to my 2018 Shadow Black. I found a very reputable installer in my area who is recommending the SunTek Ultra for dark colors because it is clearer than the XPEL film. But he is telling me that he strongly recommends against doing the full hood because of the severe angles and curvature to it. He says the center plastic section of the hood would also have to be removed as there is no pattern for the hood and it would have to be done in a bulk sheet, which would push the film way past its limits. So he is recommending a 24" hood film instead. Has anyone else heard this or had any troubles getting their full hood done? This guy is very experienced (20 years in the business) so I am hesitant to ignore his advice.

I have a full hood, no issues at all. Any good installer can do it. Also I've never had any yellowing of Xpel, not sure what experiences these others are referring too. I've used suntek as well.

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
They mentioned that regarding my hood. But they removed the center vent and got it done. All sources say that Suntek Ultra is the better product. That's why I went with it. I did quite a bit of research prior. I also had them do about 14" deep from top to bottom of the bed, right behind the rear door. I did full doors, partial bed as mentioned, a pillars, fenders, hood, painted portion of front bumper, portion above windshield, and mirrors.

They did say that they couldn't do the headlights because it could void my warranty. Somehow it creates more head within the light. Or damages the film. Idk

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They mentioned that regarding my hood. But they removed the center vent and got it done. All sources say that Suntek Ultra is the better product. That's why I went with it. I did quite a bit of research prior. I also had them do about 14" deep from top to bottom of the bed, right behind the rear door. I did full doors, partial bed as mentioned, a pillars, fenders, hood, painted portion of front bumper, portion above windshield, and mirrors.

They did say that they couldn't do the headlights because it could void my warranty. Somehow it creates more head within the light. Or damages the film. Idk

I've had Xpel vehicles a long time no issues ever. I used suntek once when the installer was low on Xpel, seemed about the same. One thing suntek doesn't have is the patterns for the wide variety of vehicles. That's all Xpel not to mention Xpel is slightly thicker, people can claim it's the base liquid but brass tax it's thicker. The headlight thing is BS btw. I've had Xpel on my other vehicles headlights for years 0 issues, same for my raptor.