Xpel + opti-coat pro +

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason why?

A few of the coatings have been known to get chalky looking and look like ass. When I first started doing coatings everyone I spoke with regardless of what brand of coating they installed told me to stay away from Ceramic Pro. Just passing it along.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few of the coatings have been known to get chalky looking and look like ass. When I first started doing coatings everyone I spoke with regardless of what brand of coating they installed told me to stay away from Ceramic Pro. Just passing it along.

That's is great advice!! Thanks for letting me know

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And it can really **** up on you during application. I agree, CQuartz is the ticket. I have it on my V and Raptor. I really like the glass protection and ease of maintenance.

OP
OP
A

ajacob1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be calling the detailer to see what options there are for the CQuartz tomorrow. I dont even have my truck yet haha, but its on the rail! SOOONNN :D

PS. ill let you know what they quote me for CQuartz.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be calling the detailer to see what options there are for the CQuartz tomorrow. I dont even have my truck yet haha, but its on the rail! SOOONNN :D

PS. ill let you know what they quote me for CQuartz.

CQuartz and CQuartz UK will be your options unless you have a "finest" installer nearby. Shoot for getting CQuartz UK applied. Ask specifically what they use to clean the paint before applying CQuartz and also see if they can do a final polish with Car Pro Essence. That will give your coating the best chance for longevity as Essence is a new primer for CQuartz. It's not a polish but it works amazing for final polishing with an orange pad.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You apply the coating after you have the XPEL installed. It would defeat the purpose of the coating if you put the coating under the XPEL. You use the coating to protect the exterior surface whether that be paint or paint with protective film installed. The coating makes things incredibly easy to clean and maintain.

Subtle point here

If you have a dark vehicle and really care about scratches, you don't want to protect the xpel with a ceramic, as the ceramic will take the scratches and not heal

Instead you want to coat with a consumable protectant like xpel sealant (there are others); it takes the scratches, gets consumed and reapplied every 6 months or so and keeps your finish straight glass

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subtle point here

If you have a dark vehicle and really care about scratches, you don't want to protect the xpel with a ceramic, as the ceramic will take the scratches and not heal

Instead you want to coat with a consumable protectant like xpel sealant (there are others); it takes the scratches, gets consumed and reapplied every 6 months or so and keeps your finish straight glass

I thought I discussed the coating more or less blocking the self healing properties of XPEL Ultimate. I know I talked about that with someone on this forum in one of the threads over the last couple of days. If I didn't coat protective film with CQuartz I would more than likely use Car Pro Reload. Just depends. And to be 100% honest the coating is so incredibly thin that I can't confirm whether it actually blocks the self healing properties of some films or not as the coating is nano thin. We were all told that they will block the self healing properties but I don't know that to be 100% accurate.

EDIT: I did cover that in one of my first comments on the first page.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XPEL protection film is absolutely the top of the top for protection film. Incredible warranty, and the stuff is almost invisible when installed right. XPEL coating and having someone top that with Cquartz coating and then use a sealant like Car Pros Reload over the top of that will get you the best results. XPEL sells a self healing film that will actually fix its itself when it has small marring in the surface like swirl marks and I do believe you lose that when you put coating over the film. And honestly a 50ml bottle of Cquartz is $80ish and can definitely be done yourself. For ANYONE interested in coating their truck hit me up and I'll shoot you over some tips and tricks so you can do it yourself and save some $$$$. If you don't want the paint to be 100% free of light marring/scratches/swirls then I highly recommend coating your truck yourself and saving the extra money for other mods. You won't find a better way to protect and make your truck easier to clean than a coating topped with a sealant.

You did, I got lost in the words

I had opticoat applied over my xpel and threw a fit when fine scratches started appearing, sad reality that I have to use automated car washes semi frequently - detailer said I'd be scratch free

Detailer got informed, used the ice skating analogy so we stripped off the xpel and re-did it with a sealant (not ceramic) and now almost a year later, no scratches, as minor scratches get blocked by the sealant, the deeper ones by xpel (which then heals in the sun), etc

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did, I got lost in the words

I had opticoat applied over my xpel and threw a fit when fine scratches started appearing, sad reality that I have to use automated car washes semi frequently - detailer said I'd be scratch free

Detailer got informed, used the ice skating analogy so we stripped off the xpel and re-did it with a sealant (not ceramic) and now almost a year later, no scratches, as minor scratches get blocked by the sealant, the deeper ones by xpel (which then heals in the sun), etc

Coatings definitely help prevent scratches but you can still scratch them rather easily. They are harder than paint but improper wash methods will still screw them up. I coated a truck awhile back that already looks like ass but the guy goes to the car wash and then just soaks a microfiber towel at the car wash and scrubs the truck while he is spraying it with soapy water. He doesn't even wash the truck first to get all of the main dirt washed off. If I could afford it I would seriously just wrap my entire vehicle in XPEL and then just use a spray sealant and use a proper wash routine to keep it clean and in theory the film should keep it scratch free unless you really do something stuipd. XPEL makes an amazing product.