Windshield Wiper Chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine drivers side wiper chatters like crazy. Driving me nuts. Pretty much done it since I got the truck (2,000 miles).

Passenger side is fine.

I have cleaned the windshield many times with soap and water. Sometimes follow that with glass cleaner, sometimes no glass cleaner. Doesnt seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions or anyone else running into this?

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is common, for my vehicles, after the rain-x wears off. The windshield gets a lot of pollutants stuck to it. I learned from Adams to give it a good clay job before reapplying. HUGE difference. The glass should feel absolutely smooth and clean first...and THEN you'll get rid of chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve been using water guard & gloss to keep the windshield reasonably clean but if I’m honest, at 6 months, my wipers are on the way out ( the blades ).

I had not thought of clay bar on the windshield to get a better water beading coat but hmm...

I don’t have wiper chatter but I’m with @GizmoVance.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think wipers are only good for 6 months depending where you live..

try the motorcraft premiums.. $12 each and just as good as rain-x, bosch or any them really.

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I replaced my OEM wipers with Bosch ICONS. Worked good for about 5 minutes then the problem returned. Same issue, drivers side. Passenger side is ok.

The window was clay bar, washed, cleaned with window cleaner then Adams H20 Guard. New wiper was cleaned with rubbing achol. etc

Any ideas now?

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I've had this issue with my 2013 since day one. Tried the clay bar route... clean and clean and different brand wiper replacements only to have it appear soon or shortly after. The only good thing about all this is that where I am in CA we don't see much rain...

I broke down and bought some Rain-X Latitude Water Repellency Wiper Blades during a bad storm and while I didn't follow the instructions but they worked wonders. No more freaking chatter!

Rain‑X® Latitude® Water Repellency 2-n-1 Wiper Blades

You are supposed to put them on dry and run the wiper once to "coat" the windshield. I didn't do that since I bought them while raining and in my case it didn't matter.

It's been over five months now and still working. I just hit some rain in Las Vegas last week and they are still working with no chatter.

It's a worth a shot if you haven't tried them yet.