Window tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice many folks opt for window tint as one of their first mods. What’s the consensus on this? I’ve never done tinted windows and wondered if it’s all about looks or if there’s a benefit. What degree of tint and which windows are preferred?

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice many folks opt for window tint as one of their first mods. What’s the consensus on this? I’ve never done tinted windows and wondered if it’s all about looks or if there’s a benefit. What degree of tint and which windows are preferred?

Tint can be both for looks and to help block heat. The degree of tint is largely controlled by what your state allows. Most states have restrictions on the side windows in front and no tint below the AS-1 line on the windshield. All of the other windows are pretty much whatever you want. Here in Phoenix, most people get tint.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did full ceramic tint last week and it cut the heat by a lot. I did 5% front doors 15% rear over the factory tint and 35% full moonroof which helped out the most with heat and 35% windshield. I went to Home Depot the next day and the temp was 94 outside and spent a hour in the store, when I came out the truck was still cool. I definitely recommend doing ceramic.

FD5BEE79-F7F1-493F-8696-567C2F4144A5.jpg

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine done two weeks ago, 15% on the side windows to match the rear. I got ceramic tint (the best they offered, $100 total) for heat rejection, and the difference is definitely noticeable.

The tint is almost too light during the day, but a tiny bit too much at night. So in other words, perfect. It will be up to your tint shop to make their film match, if that's what you are going for.

Dakotablues

Reaction score
Tint for me. Looks a bit nicer IMO and definitely helps to keep it cool. I left the factory tint (20%) as it came and put 35% (ceramic) on the front windows.

Still not legal in Michigan, but lots of vehicles rolling around with much darker tint.

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 384

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did full ceramic tint last week and it cut the heat by a lot. I did 5% front doors 15% rear over the factory tint and 35% full moonroof which helped out the most with heat and 35% windshield. I went to Home Depot the next day and the temp was 94 outside and spent a hour in the store, when I came out the truck was still cool. I definitely recommend doing ceramic.

Can you have the sides and windshield that dark in FL? In Texas, you can only go up to 35% on the front side-windows and only a strip at the top of the windshield. It is to allow a police officer the ability to see if you are pointing a gun at them when they walk up to your vehicle.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you have the sides and windshield that dark in FL? In Texas, you can only go up to 35% on the front side-windows and only a strip at the top of the windshield. It is to allow a police officer the ability to see if you are pointing a gun at them when they walk up to your vehicle.

No it’s not. I had 70% windshield and 20 on the front sides but wanted to try darker. If I redo the windshield I will probably do 50%. If I get pulled over I will be rolling all the windows down before I get pulled over. Lol

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

It is to allow a police officer the ability to create a reason to impound and search your vehicle if they have nothing else on you and because they can’t effectively write HOV tickets for heavy tinted vehicles.

FIFY

The shooting cops from behind tinted windows is right up there with accurately shooting 2 handguns at once, handguns blowing up propane tanks with hollow point or fmj (non incendiary) and other urban myths, perpetuated and amplified by hollywood. at some point, there might have been some vaguely related incident, but tint laws have nothing whatsoever to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.