Winch bumper w/o moving intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mixmaven

Reaction score
Customized two Gen 1’s (12 SCAB, 14 SCREW), and now on to a race red 2018. My thought was why doesn’t someone make a winch bumper where you don’t have to move the intercooler and has a sensor mount for the adaptive cruise? Seems the path to the most sales would lined with bumpers that are the easiest to install? If it saves me 2-3 hours and I like the look, it would be the top of my list. Is there some reason other than space? This is a big truck, a wide front bumper wouldn’t look out of place. Or even a top mount winch behind a pre-runner bar with an integrated front camera mount (moving it from the grill).
Not that I necessarily mind moving the intercooler (or even upgrading it) and I really do like the skid plate look in the front and have leveled the front just slightly higher knowing I want a winch bumper - but saving an extra 2-3 hours and leaving the intercooler stock is worth something to me. Searched on a few sites and just didn’t see anything. TIA if you know of one!

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aside from the massive weight increase hanging way over the front wheels, exactly where you don't want it, if you put a big bumper with a winch in front of your intercooler, you're going to cut off all its airflow. The truck already suffers from a significant amount of heat soak.

I'm sure you could have someone build you one with a top mount under a bull bar but moving the camera and ACC in front of the grill and winch will be both problematic and ugly. IMO, there is a good reason why no one builds a bumper like this. No one would want one.

ADD makes some pretty good bumpers that will let you run a winch and keep the functionality of your truck intact.

Btw, there wasn't a 2015 Raptor.

Reaction score
There simply isnt enough room to fit a winch & run the factory intercooler, its right in the way. Only way around it is to make a huge bumper that sticks way out in front of the truck. Even then, you would be blocking tons of airflow to the intercooler. Only smart or practical way to run a winch bumper is to run an intercooler than sits behind the grill. This is our #1 selling bumper, the Stealth Fighter with winch & our Intercooler:

ford-raptor-winch-front-bumper.jpg

2017-ford-raptor-winch-bumper.jpg

dave_g

Reaction score
So ADD- I'm also looking to add winch, want tow hooks and need to flat tow my Raptor behind my motor home. A very tough combo- Most base [late mounts for flat tow hardware remove the factory tow hooks, So are your D ring mounts strong enough to flat tow from?

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those bumpers that can hold a winch and not require intercooler relocation not only look silly, but like have been mentioned, block tons of airflow to the factory puny intercooler. And make your approach angle even worse!

Either upgrade bumpers or a hidden winch mount behind the bumper and just upgrade to a much better intercooler. It’s a win-win. Don’t fear the upgrade!!!

OP
OP
mixmaven

mixmaven

Reaction score
I have the upgrade and Swarfworks winch mount, love it! Also just ordered the air tank mount, haven’t opened the box yet but already have it wired. Hopefully next week. I wanted a factory bumper, and very happy with the results. Can’t answer about ADD hooks being used to flat tow behind. Seems like a stretch to me.