Wheel well trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stratia69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with trim pieces bowing out away from the body panel? I have my rear driver side trim bowing with a 1/2 gap right below the gas filler door. Looks like crap. Dealer is going to take a look and possibly replace.

OP
OP
Stratia69

Stratia69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no replies, but ford is replacing mine under warranty. I guess there are adhesive strips attached to the back that assist in keeping the trim snug. We suspect that mine bowed after gas spilled down the side and dissolved the adhesive and possibly the foam absorbing gas could have heated up causing the plastic to warp.

I remember filling up in Oregon where they fuel for you and the guy overfilled the tank.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no replies, but ford is replacing mine under warranty. I guess there are adhesive strips attached to the back that assist in keeping the trim snug. We suspect that mine bowed after gas spilled down the side and dissolved the adhesive and possibly the foam absorbing gas could have heated up causing the plastic to warp.

I remember filling up in Oregon where they fuel for you and the guy overfilled the tank.

I replaced mine because I scraped it. There is no adhesive at all. There are a series of clips and a weather strip that's it. Maybe one of your clips broke?

OP
OP
Stratia69

Stratia69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in yesterday to the dealer and they removed it. No broken clips. They wanted to verify that the body was dented or damaged since it was sticking out so far.

I saw the foam weather strip, that was obvious with the trim bowed out. Very odd, the only thing of note is that it happened right under the fuel fill door. Either way they ordered a new one. I'll just be more careful fueling up in case that was the problem, doubtful, but who knows. Maybe defective plastic.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in yesterday to the dealer and they removed it. No broken clips. They wanted to verify that the body was dented or damaged since it was sticking out so far.

I saw the foam weather strip, that was obvious with the trim bowed out. Very odd, the only thing of note is that it happened right under the fuel fill door. Either way they ordered a new one. I'll just be more careful fueling up in case that was the problem, doubtful, but who knows. Maybe defective plastic.

Here's a video of a guy removing one of the flares. You can get a pretty good look at what's behind them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZqc_gAS04M