Tonneau Cover Vendors - Retrax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done my research and have decided on a Retrax Pro MX bed cover.

Are their any vendors here that offer discounts, etc? Or, any other vendors that you guys recommend to purchase from?

Thx.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a heads up. I thought Retrax were slick until I had multiple problems with mine. They don't stand behind their product, especially their "lifetime" warranty. They want nearly $1,000 to fix their defective product. I won't be buying from them again.

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. I thought Retrax were slick until I had multiple problems with mine. They don't stand behind their product, especially their "lifetime" warranty. They want nearly $1,000 to fix their defective product. I won't be buying from them again.

Can you elaborate?

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

I have done my research and have decided on a Retrax Pro MX bed cover.

Are their any vendors here that offer discounts, etc? Or, any other vendors that you guys recommend to purchase from?

Thx.

I've sold several dozen Retrax to FRF members. My prices tend to be lower than found anywhere so please send me a PM and I can provide you a great price.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you elaborate?

Sure.

It likes to jump the track during decent off-roading which is REALLY difficult to fix (not a big deal, price to pay for fun).

The real problems.
First, the holes that the latch mechanism uses to stay totally closed are all wallowed out, so it rattles.

The eighth slat from the end gets out of place and totally binds up so you can't open the tonneau up. This makes for a LOT of fun when you have stuff in the bed (they call it "shifted slat" so they know the problem).

The "lock anywhere" function? Yeah, good luck with that over time. It's a friction lock and it's a joke. All it does is tear into the aluminum rails. Eventually you need to adjust it, which becomes impossible.

All of the hardware holding it together is crap and rust welds into place, so good luck using any of it to make the adjustments needed to fix some of the above issues.

The hardware used to retain the rails is a joke - plastic retaining stuff that strips right out. Again, preventing you from making adjustments to fix problems.

Basically, when it works, it's great. The main pieces seem really decent, but it's assembled with junky small pieces that just don't hold up. It would only take a few simple engineering changes to make it a solid product, but it seems like they cut some corners. Probably why they won't back up their product. It really is a shame, because it IS a great product at first.

Make sure you RTV (or some sealant/adhesive) the drains to the bottom of the main unit - they fall right out. You'll figure that out after the first time you have stuff you don't want wet back there and you wind up in a big rainstorm (ask me how I know).

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

I don't know too many hard type tonneau covers that are good for off-roading. I've heard of some having luck with the Truck Cover USA

Truck Covers USA | American Roll Cover

But I wouldn't trust it personally, not for off-roading anyways. These covers are just too expensive. If anyone has followed my post over the years, I had a BAK Roll-X that I off-roaded with and even took it to Baja. BUT, I modified it with chain tie-downs in 5 different locations to make it work. Plus had to have bed stabilizers as the bed would flex causing it to unlatch the lock/latch. And even then after several years of the off-road runs, I tore the crap out of it to the point that I just took it off and threw it away. It was beat to shit.

Since then I went with a Truxedo Lo Pro soft roll-up cover. A soft cover is the only way to go if you want to off-road with it. It is also super easy to remove, two latches and it comes right off and can stow away in the back seat. I left mine rolled up in Baja and had absolutely no issues. I had a 30' cable running through my stuff and put the cover at night when we at the motels.

But to expect a Retrax to hold up during off-roading, yeah that's stretching it.

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure.

It likes to jump the track during decent off-roading which is REALLY difficult to fix (not a big deal, price to pay for fun).

The real problems.
First, the holes that the latch mechanism uses to stay totally closed are all wallowed out, so it rattles.

The eighth slat from the end gets out of place and totally binds up so you can't open the tonneau up. This makes for a LOT of fun when you have stuff in the bed (they call it "shifted slat" so they know the problem).

The "lock anywhere" function? Yeah, good luck with that over time. It's a friction lock and it's a joke. All it does is tear into the aluminum rails. Eventually you need to adjust it, which becomes impossible.

All of the hardware holding it together is crap and rust welds into place, so good luck using any of it to make the adjustments needed to fix some of the above issues.

The hardware used to retain the rails is a joke - plastic retaining stuff that strips right out. Again, preventing you from making adjustments to fix problems.

Basically, when it works, it's great. The main pieces seem really decent, but it's assembled with junky small pieces that just don't hold up. It would only take a few simple engineering changes to make it a solid product, but it seems like they cut some corners. Probably why they won't back up their product. It really is a shame, because it IS a great product at first.

Make sure you RTV (or some sealant/adhesive) the drains to the bottom of the main unit - they fall right out. You'll figure that out after the first time you have stuff you don't want wet back there and you wind up in a big rainstorm (ask me how I know).

Thanks.

Anyone have other products they recommend?