Talk to me about tonneau covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wizze

Reaction score
Also looking at covers. I like the tri-folds but want the ability to easily remove the whole cover for hauling bikes. Don't like idea of leaning up against the cab and want to see out the rear window. So far Bakflip VP fits what I am looking for. Others seemed to be attached to rail system. Or am I wrong?

Sawdust

Reaction score
I make furniture and need full access to my bed as well to make deliveries. Check out the Lomax, you can remove the whole cover in about 30 seconds. The rails are only 1-1/2" wide and don't interfere with my straps.

nukemustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also looking at covers. I like the tri-folds but want the ability to easily remove the whole cover for hauling bikes. Don't like idea of leaning up against the cab and want to see out the rear window. So far Bakflip VP fits what I am looking for. Others seemed to be attached to rail system. Or am I wrong?

I had a Backflip G2 on the Gen 1 and will order either another G2 or MX4 for the Gen 2. The cover is NOT hard to remove at all!

There are pretty much two thumbscrews that hold the bed cover to the truck in the section closest to the cab. So you fold it three times, removed the two screws and you have your full bed access. There are rails with drip trays down the sides, but they are not huge. I like the hard cover since I actually stood on it near the cab to wash the top of the truck, and for traveling with luggage, and putting my bicycle or whatever in the back and never had a problem with water getting in.

fijidaniel

Reaction score
First cover I've ever had is now on my Gen 2. I thought and thought and changed my mind over and over and ended up landing on the MX4. I liked the Matte finish as I wasn't crazy about the vinyl or shined look some have. My concession is that it folds up to block rear window when all the way open. But it feels and looks solid which I like more. Honestly if I need all of the bed from time to time, I will prob just loosen the knobs underneath and remove. So far have been very happy with it tho.

wizze

Reaction score
After watching lots of videos and reviews the knobs for removal are never mentioned. Just seems locking it against the cab is your only option. Thanks for the info that opens up my choices.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I make furniture and need full access to my bed as well to make deliveries. Check out the Lomax, you can remove the whole cover in about 30 seconds. The rails are only 1-1/2" wide and don't interfere with my straps.

i really like the look of this cover. water resistance is good?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Another question, I'm assuming I should get lineX installed before installing the tonneau cover?

If you're getting a cover go with a bedrug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

I've had 2 Bakflips and the screws come out that hold the front in place and the rear hinges break easy when off-roading hard

Sawdust

Reaction score
i really like the look of this cover. water resistance is good?

I've only had mine on a week so I can't say for sure about it's water resistance. Has kept everything outside in the short time I've had it. By design it should keep very dry. The hinge seals are above the weatherstripping and it compresses tightly when closed. We have so big rains coming this week. If anything bad happens, I'll post about it.

krodUT

Reaction score
I have the Retrax Pro MX on my black Raptor and it works perfectly and looks super clean.

Highly recommend!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the factory hard cover but since I don't have my truck yet I have no opinion on it at this point. It looks great in person and in pictures.

I have the factory cover and love it!!!! Looks great, very well made, and 100% no issues/concerns.