GEN 2 Tailgate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The othe day I noticed a squeak coming from the passenger side of the tailgate when I was opening and closing it. It sounded like the hinge was dry but as I was attempting to apply grease, I see that they had plenty of grease already applied. Keep in mind, I had less than 400 miles on the truck when I noticed this. I have less than 1k miles on it as of now. Anyways, during further inspection, we found this painted part is making contact with another part.

The parts in questions are on the passenger side of the bed/tailgate.

26792744958_473282a0c7_b.jpgUntitled by Steve Richardson, on Flickr

You can see where the paint has rubbed off.

39954063774_384fa45a83_b.jpgUntitled by Steve Richardson, on Flickr

I’ve reached out to my salesman (looking for which service advisor he recommends I work with) but haven’t heard back. In the mean time, I’m going to remove the part and have a body shop repaint it before it begins to corrode. This leads to two questions.

1. What is the technical name of this part and what is it’s purpose?
  2. Have any of you come across this? If so, what is your remedy to prevent it from happening in the future? The tailgate appears to slide from side to side with ease so I’m thinking of applying felt to the part to help it from rubbing the paint off.

Last edited:

COMBS19

Reaction score
My 2018 is doing the same thing. Have about 1500 miles on it. Mine has the built in step on the tail gate. I shot it with some silicone spray and seemed to help for now. Keep us post on what the dealership will do for you. Thanks