Short bed in day to day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmcarman15

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First time posting here, so if this is the wrong location, please forgive me.

I am in the market for a new truck at the end of the year and have my eyes set on the new Raptor. I wanted to ask about those that currently have older models, or have had them in the past, and their experience with the short bed during day to day use. I'm not a big fan of the long 8 ft. beds on other Ford trucks as its too long, but my preference is definitely the 6.5 ft. for utility, storage, and occasionally camping. Seeing as the Raptor only comes with the 5.5 ft. bed, has anyone found good ways to utilize and work with a shorter bed, or is it really not that big of an issue?

I have an Avalanche now with the 5.25 ft. bed that becomes 8 ft. upon demand. In the 4 years I've owned it, the longer bed length has come in handy a few times, but I'm not sure if it'd be a deal breaker for the Raptor without the unity advantage of the optional length extension.

If I didn't get the Raptor, I'd most like get the F-150 with as many 4x4 and power options on it that I could to get it as close to the Raptor as possible (even though, it could never truly compete).

Long story short, has the short bed on the Raptor been an issue for you guys, or not? Or is the truck just that awesome and amazing that who cares about the bed? (lol)

Thanks for your time,
Clinton

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait... our trucks have beds?

Just get the bed extender if you feel like you'll use the bed. It adds almost another foot.

D

Deleted member 12951

I've always had a longer bed but finally decided if I was ever going to get a short 5.5 bed that it would be a Raptor. Best decision ever!

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a nearly identical bed in the ChAvalanche, you'll be fine. It'll be a 3/4"difference to be specific.

If it's a concern, use the bed extender with optional Yellow vertical mast/upright load re-inforcement/stripper pole.

I'd stick with the ChAvalanche if I were you, they're badass, esp with that ABS plastic bed rack-like side fascia. Raptor was def. inspired by ChAvalanches in your face rawness.
Or
Have you considered a Pontiac AzTek? Way more cargo room and converts into a tent!

Just messin w/you.

Buy a rapt

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not a problem. At All. I've hauled 4x8 sheets of plywood without difficulty. I've transported two motorcycles - a large displacement road burner and a 570cc off road bike - across the country without difficulty.

Raptoe13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a super crew in either F150, get the 5.5'. The 6.5 in crew just plain sucks in both looks and turn radius. My work truck is a crew cab with 6.5 so I speak from 1st hand experience. However, if you're fine with that, the extra space does come in handy if you want your tailgate closed.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bed space isn't a problem until you start putting stuff in it.

Like: chase racks, dual spares, recovery boxes, dead bodies, gas cans, tool kits, spare parts, etc....