Review - Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating for Wheel Wells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck I bought already had the OEM spray-in liner so I really did not want to take to Line-X just for the wheel wells. Also, I wanted to hit a few extra places, and I am not going to beat it hard off-road. So went with this product. There are two grades. A regular one and then the "professional grade". Only a few $ more for the upgrade and it is paint and primer. I have used the regular one before with good results, so figured this would be maybe a little better.

There are some other do-it-yourself products like U-POL, but as noted in other threads they are real messy and it gets everywhere. This stuff goes where you aim, very little overspray, any fallout on painted garage floor came up real easy with 409 and water (I did not cover floor real well), you can touch up areas and it will blend in, almost impossible to make it run.....overall a good cheap option to get rid of the color showing from the wheel wells, and get some protection.

You need 1 can per side if doing just the wheel wells. If doing what I did, then 1 1/2 cans per side.

WW_1_zps2gyi8ypz.jpg

Just power washed, then hand washed with a degreaser, then hit all shinny surfaces in wheel well with medium sanding pad, then wiped with alcohol/water mixture. Taped it up with painters tape and thin drop cloths. Note I left frame and under-bed rails exposed.

WW_2_zpsmvudbpx2.jpg

Not yet fully dry in the next picture, but it does dry to the touch pretty quick. I added a couple of hole caps after checking that there were plenty of other ways for water to get out. The caps are from eBay and do not 100% seal so that is good as well. Hit the wheel well, two support rails under the bed, and any of the shinny black frame I could easily get to.

WW_3_zpsngvfctpc.jpg

Couple of finished pictures. First one in the garage, second one outside. Dries to a slightly textured finish and matte in color.

WW_4_zpsoiw0iium.jpg

WW_5_zpsruxmyeb0.jpg

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Rustoleum is the bees knees. I have a buddy who has used it to coat a suppressor and finish and AR15 receiver. It’s done surprisingly well, especially the heat resistant stuff he put on the suppressor. We’ve seen over 800F on that tube with no problems.

Finally... Another Rap owner who will admit to being in NoVA.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yep from NoVA, but had to go to West PA to get my Raptor.

I bought NoVA (well, driving distance) without hateful and greedy ADM... but I admit luck played a part. If it didn’t pan out, i’d have probably hit up 03Darin for an ’18.

Just out of curiosity, how much are you out for this upgrade... I’ll guess, under $30 - plastic, painters tape, some rattle cans...

respect.

OP
OP
hamster

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Rustoleum at Autozone for $13 a can, got $10 back in rebate. So $29 plus tax for me. I had all other material.

Sethrad

Reaction score
Followed your lead almost to the word. Just put a handful of hours into the job. Came out terrific. So easy to do. Couldn’t see spending a handful of C-notes to spray the wheel wells with Line-X. The plastic inserts look weak.
Thanks for the idea and quick tutorial!

OP
OP
hamster

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Followed your lead almost to the word. Just put a handful of hours into the job. Came out terrific. So easy to do. Couldn’t see spending a handful of C-notes to spray the wheel wells with Line-X. The plastic inserts look weak.
Thanks for the idea and quick tutorial!

Glad it worked out. I have only had to touch it up once in 2+ years.