Retrofit of tailgate with step...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

handstr

Reaction score
Did anyone find out if this was possible my truck came with no step and looking for one

Dutch19

Reaction score
I’ve been doing a lot of searching, but so far I haven’t seen any solutions other than spending a ton on a new tailgate.

The AMP bedstep doesn’t fit the gen 2 raptor.

Any solutions?

MurMech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the cost of the tailgate step? I have the tailgate step and when I removed my tailgate, it was considerably heavy than the non step ones like on my 2015.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, as some may be aware from my intro thread, I’m a new owner and also looking to retrofit a step into my tailgate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s not reasonably feasible...possible, but would require some surgery to make the step fit.

For perspective, here’s what the tailgate step looks like out of the tailgate:

i-k7CXS8S.jpg

i-GHKN3Db.jpg

i-g3F4xWL.jpg

I started woth the typical part number search: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/tailgate-assy-6415895-1

...and also partially disassembled my tailgate that has a remote release w/soft open and camera:

i-Cg2XvfR.jpg

Channels for the step posts/sliders are defiintely there. Right and left sides displayed here:

i-3WBH2sJ.jpg

Left side bigger for the support post too:
i-SRhjjZg.jpg

But my tailgate is missing the pocket for the step itself, and the top piece is part of the outer skin, wrapped around/spot welded, plus has a couple torx fasteners holding down some additional metal (support doubler?) as well.

Here’s what the step pocket looks like on a 2018 up at my local dealership:

i-bD8tRgB.jpg

And although it would be an easy retrofit (just a drill and some rust coat), my tailgate is also missing the holes drilled to fit the bolts that secure the base of the slider housings at the bottom of the tailgate:

i-gC6SGqd.jpg

Mine without the holes drilled (where tip of screwdriver is pointing); looks different because my truck has a spray-in bedliner vs. the other truck’s drop in plastic liner that covers the channels, etc.:

i-W643rWX.jpg

So unless I’m willing to take a sawzall to my tailgate to open up the top to make room for the step pocket, and of course the minor change to drill the two additional holes for the base support bolts, a retrofit is a no-go.

Back to the drawing board...and Craig’s list/eBay! From a quick troll through salvage yard inventories, it looks like complete tailgates with camera and step are going for between $1,200-$1,400. Also going to see how much the parts would cost at my local dealer...just the shell and step assembly, the rest of the parts (hardware, camera, harness, etc.) can be swapped over from my tail gate.

BTW, I’d still like to swap this tailgate for one without an appliqué, and if yours has a step, I’ll throw in cash! :deal:

Last edited:

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those swapping out tailgates, be advised that some of them may require different brackets. I went to test fit the ‘17 tailgate with step to my truck, and quickly realized that the left (driver’s) side bracket is different.

My truck:

i-Jfr2Fnj-X3.jpg

Tailgate from 2017 donor truck:

i-rCKWf4N-X3.jpg

Thought about just swapping tailgate brackets, but the ones on the tailgate are integral to the torsion rod that makes these soft opening. Could probably dissassemble and reassemble with a lot of ass pain, but there’s an easier fix.

Will simply need to replace this bracket with one that has the “male” extension to fit the ‘17 tailgate:

i-722TsS5-X3.jpg

One more thing to purchase and paint...but progress...

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.... I eventually would like to swap to a non-applique '17 tailgate.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Just picked up my 23 R and found no tailgate step. I did not want a sunroof and that was bundled with an auto closing tailgate which I also thought was something i did not want. But little did I know that there is no pull out tailgate step without the auto closing feature. It does have a couple stake holes advertised to use for clamping lumber down. Perhaps the aftermarket will have something that fits these two pockets and flips down for a step. At my age an limited mobility I cannot get into the bed of the truck with the gate down unless I carry a ladder around with me. WTF Ford? $110k not enough to include the stupid step?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 23 R and found no tailgate step. I did not want a sunroof and that was bundled with an auto closing tailgate which I also thought was something i did not want. But little did I know that there is no pull out tailgate step without the auto closing feature. It does have a couple stake holes advertised to use for clamping lumber down. Perhaps the aftermarket will have something that fits these two pockets and flips down for a step. At my age an limited mobility I cannot get into the bed of the truck with the gate down unless I carry a ladder around with me. WTF Ford? $110k not enough to include the stupid step?
Even dumber its paired with the leakroof