Removing Front License Plate Bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drill the rivet heads off and punch them out. Very simple.

Start small on drill bit and work your way up until can get them out without hitting the bumper with the drill bit or punch.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@hamster Ok, just want a little clarity.

I drilled out the rivets. There are now 2 ends sticking out. I can now use a punch and force them out of the actual bumper which will then be left with 2 flush holes correct?

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@hamster Ok, just want a little clarity.

I drilled out the rivets. There are now 2 ends sticking out. I can now use a punch and force them out of the actual bumper which will then be left with 2 flush holes correct?

I would work up on drill bit size and avoid using a punch. And yes left with two flush holes.

NHnewbie

Reaction score
New 2018 Magnetic owner here. Want to remove front license plate bracket since it wont accommodate the carbon fiber frames I want to use. Bracket appears to be attached with a fastener that is not a rivet. Looks like a Torx type screw but Torx (and Allen) wrenches don't fit. Any guidance appreciated. I may resort to the "drill it out" method but hoping there is an easier way.

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New 2018 Magnetic owner here. Want to remove front license plate bracket since it wont accommodate the carbon fiber frames I want to use. Bracket appears to be attached with a fastener that is not a rivet. Looks like a Torx type screw but Torx (and Allen) wrenches don't fit. Any guidance appreciated. I may resort to the "drill it out" method but hoping there is an easier way.

can you post a photo of the fastener? I have a 2018 also but luckily the dealer didn't install the bracket.