GEN 2 Power running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBadNIN

Reaction score
The AMP Research Power Steps are great products but...

why would you take off the factory steps that do everything needed including protecting the side of your truck?!

I am considering getting them too for my 2018. I am 6'6" so using the factory running boards is pretty much worthless. Constantly jumping in from the ground or "falling" out and my legs rubbing on the stock boards is no fun. They are basically in the way.

My Dad, who is 6'9", has the power steps on his 2017 and loves them. The lower level actually makes them useful for entry and exit. I'll see if I can get some pics of it to share.

Last edited:

charles06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory running boards protect the body and paint from rocks and road debris. Power fold-up boards will not. They serve a purpose regardless of your height.

Most clear bra companies make a piece that applies to the lower doors of most trucks, and if not, it's very simple for them to cut. I used this on my 2013 Raptor when I installed AMP steps. Not a single mark/scratch/dent after several years. No, it will not protect from large rocks, but it will protect better than the factory steps when small stuff is thrown up. And even if a larger rock is thrown up causing a dent, the clear bra will protect from paint damage, and a paintless dent repair company can fix it in less than an hour.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most clear bra companies make a piece that applies to the lower doors of most trucks, and if not, it's very simple for them to cut. I used this on my 2013 Raptor when I installed AMP steps. Not a single mark/scratch/dent after several years. No, it will not protect from large rocks, but it will protect better than the factory steps when small stuff is thrown up. And even if a larger rock is thrown up causing a dent, the clear bra will protect from paint damage, and a paintless dent repair company can fix it in less than an hour.

I was going to ask for anyone with a fix for the stock running boards...they look great, but the cutouts at the front allow way too much spray/debris from the front tires onto the doors, etc. I was driving on sandy/muddy roads this weekend at a farm, not even remotely dogging it, and was shocked how much stuff got through the boards and onto the paint just going through puddles in a dirt road. Hell, the stock tires project outside the flares/mud flaps, too. With sandy dirt/mud, this is a recipe for disaster.

Has anyone come up with a fix, like a plate to fit the front of the boards or better mud flaps?

FNG

Reaction score
Please check out Rock Slide Engineering, they're coming out with a rock slider with a power step. The step folds back up into the rock slider.

bitfarmer

Reaction score
I like the look. Did you do your own install? How was it, how long?

I have the ford oem amp power boards on my Limited, and while I thought they were gimmicky at first, they actually work quite well and the foot bed position is ideal for getting in/out. I'm going to see how the stock raptor boards work once my order comes in - nice to see these installed.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put Amp Power Steps on my 2014 Tremor that I traded in for my 2017 Raptor. I loved those things, mostly because I always hated the look of running boards on trucks and they are barely visible. My original plan was to put some on the Raptor. It didn't take long for the Raptor boards to grow on me. My tires stick out further than stock and the Raptor boards help minimize the mud slinging down the sides of the truck....and now for some reason I think Raptors look funny without running boards.

lawdog/ said:
I was going to ask for anyone with a fix for the stock running boards...they look great, but the cutouts at the front allow way too much spray/debris from the front tires onto the doors, etc. I was driving on sandy/muddy roads this weekend at a farm, not even remotely dogging it, and was shocked how much stuff got through the boards and onto the paint just going through puddles in a dirt road. Hell, the stock tires project outside the flares/mud flaps, too. With sandy dirt/mud, this is a recipe for disaster.

Has anyone come up with a fix, like a plate to fit the front of the boards or better mud flaps?
I cut some pieces off an old dump truck mud flap and plugged up the front holes on my running boards. It helped cut down the mud slinging onto the door handles.

Attachments

• IMG_20180228_194042455.jpg
    IMG_20180228_194042455.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 60