Paint match bumpers and fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with @Gilligan f150 with flares look more like a Raptor than a true raptor looks like a regular f150 when the flares are painted. Mine are also painted though so I might be a little biased

To the OP, as someone who has repainted the rear flares twice now. Have somebody wrap the flares in clear bra or expel. The rear flares get pretty beat up. The BFG's love to throw rocks.

You both are right... The new raptor looks too much like the 150, or the 150 looks too much like the raptor. Im not bashing, so no need to flame... But when you saw the svt raptor... You knew exactly what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...To the OP, as someone who has repainted the rear flares twice now. Have somebody wrap the flares in clear bra or expel. The rear flares get pretty beat up. The BFG's love to throw rocks.

Why did you have to get the flares repainted? Is your Raptor a light color? Were the rocks just chipping up the bottoms of the flares so much that the dark gray color was very obvious? Couldn't you just use touch up paint?

Just asking since it's been my plan all along to paint match my Raptor too (when the dang thing gets here...)

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You both are right... The new raptor looks too much like the 150, or the 150 looks too much like the raptor. Im not bashing, so no need to flame... But when you saw the svt raptor... You knew exactly what it was.

I have heard this a couple times now. I'm not sure I understand. Please explain.

Every styling queue that the Gen1 had, the Gen2 also has (and then some).

__________________Gen 1____Gen2
Wider Fenders_______YES_____YES
Unique Hood________YES_____YES
Unique Grill_________YES_____YES
Unique Suspension___YES_____YES
Unique Tire/Wheel___YES_____YES
Unique Front Bumper_YES_____YES
Unique Rear Bumper__NO_____YES
Unique Exhaust______NO_____YES

I'm not trying to say that the Gen2 is better than the Gen1, but the reverse isn't true either.

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have heard this a couple times now. I'm not sure I understand. Please explain.

I'm not trying to say that the Gen2 is better than the Gen1, but the reverse isn't true either.

The lines on the 17 raptor are very similar to the f150, both very hard lines. Both look very good, but looking at the lines and not the "unique styling", at a quick glance is hard to tell them apart. Whereas the 10-14 raptor has rounder lines and the f150 has harder lines. In fact the lines on the 10-14 f150 are closer to the latest gen than its raptor counterpart. So visually they are very different.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lines on the 17 raptor are very similar to the f150, both very hard lines. Both look very good, but looking at the lines and not the "unique styling", at a quick glance is hard to tell them apart. Whereas the 10-14 raptor has rounder lines and the f150 has harder lines. In fact the lines on the 10-14 f150 are closer to the latest gen than its raptor counterpart. So visually they are very different.

I can understand the visual part. The Gen1 fenders look more like a "pulled" fender, where the Gen2 looks more like a "widened" fender. I think whether or not this makes it look more distinct or not is really a preference thing. People in the know will be able to tell it apart. For the general public that doesn't know, I found people's opinions lean towards thinking the Gen1 was an aftermarket conversion and the Gen2 being a Factory conversion. So in that regard, I suppose you could say that the Gen2 is more recognizable as a factory version of the F150, where as the Gen1 was more often mistaken for an non factory aftermarket upgrade. I don't think either is really in any danger of being confused for a stock F150.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why did you have to get the flares repainted? Is your Raptor a light color? Were the rocks just chipping up the bottoms of the flares so much that the dark gray color was very obvious? Couldn't you just use touch up paint?

Just asking since it's been my plan all along to paint match my Raptor too (when the dang thing gets here...)

White. The rear fenders take the beating. Or get more aggressive tires with wider gaps between the tread. The tight tread of the BFG's picks up a lot of little rocks. I touched them up for a while but it was constant. The clear bra helped a lot.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

IMO, the Gen1 looks more like a regular F150.