GEN 2 Line-X quote getting ridiculous?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea what it really looks like, so if it is all just plastic, then that's fine, didn't want the body colored painted rear ones exposed like most have said.

I agree that using invisible paint protection is a little overkill on the fenders though, and I'm factory trained at XPEL. I just wanted them protected and a different color than the Magnetic that it comes with.

What color?

I had ultra applied to all my trim, hated how some plastic was smooth magnetic and others were textured black

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm commissioning my dealership to do some additional Line-X work on my Raptor while I'm waiting to pick it up next week, since they already color matched the Avalanche Grey bedliner and are capable of doing custom work. Here's what I've asked them to do:
  • Black Wheel Wells
  • Custom Color Fender Flares
  • Custom Color Front Bumper
  • Custom Color Front Grille
  • Custom Color Rear Bumper
  • Custom Color Tailgate Applique
They're charging me $795 for the custom color bedliner already done, but the above list was quoted at $2,800??? I asked them to take off the front grille and tailgate applique from the quote, they said that those were some of the easier ones and it wouldn't go down all that much. They're excited to the job because once it's done, it will look really unique (and before everyone gets bent out of shape, I'm NOT color matching, also not doing anything wild, just a different color than Magnetic while protecting the pieces aforementioned).

Now for the big questions:
  1. Most importantly - why in the hell is this so expensive?
  2. Why are they telling me that they can't spray the front wheel wells - is this right? I don't have much time spent looking up at the front wells, so I'm not sure why just the rears are getting done and the price is still this high.
  3. I was told to go with Line-X Ultra for the smooth surfaces somewhere online, possibly here, but they told me that they cannot color match Ultra, only Xtra, which will have texture to it. I don't see Ultra listed on Line-X's website, so I can't find out if it can or cannot be color matched, but isn't it the same style product? EDIT - found the page on Line-X's website, it clearly states "ENDLESS COLOR OPTIONS" on the page for it, so they're just BSing me about not being able to do a custom color Ultra spray...
Hoping someone can help me answer these mysteries of Line-X before it gets too late and they can't get it done in time for me to pick it up, thanks!

Call TMX. They own Linex Mckinney (Texas) but they will probably be able to help with a referral or advice.

OP
OP
KryptosXLayer2

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color?

I had ultra applied to all my trim, hated how some plastic was smooth magnetic and others were textured black

You'll see! Hopefully soon, just going to get the truck here first and then bring it to the local Line-X place and have them do it

How do you like it? I think Ultra is the way to go, but she was downplaying it over the phone a bit, talking about how it was "only 20 mil as opposed to the Xtra being 50 mil," but I don't want a ton of once smooth trim being rough like other parts were, like you mentioned

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll see! Hopefully soon, just going to get the truck here first and then bring it to the local Line-X place and have them do it

Color, this could either go very good or very bad

You have to go Ultra, find a shop that has been spraying it for a while and ask for a test piece

I went thru 2 LX shops before finding my 3rd

OP
OP
KryptosXLayer2

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color, this could either go very good or very bad

You have to go Ultra, find a shop that has been spraying it for a while and ask for a test piece

I went thru 2 LX shops before finding my 3rd

Yikes.... They told me in an email today that they've only been spraying Ultra for a month (it hasn't exactly been around for long though), but are going to take their time and do it right. Otherwise, it's on them to re-do it!

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes.... They told me in an email today that they've only been spraying Ultra for a month (it hasn't exactly been around for long though), but are going to take their time and do it right. Otherwise, it's on them to re-do it!

Have them test spray a trim piece ... only a month, I'd run away

Once it's sprayed, it's done ... a redo involves them roughing up the 1st spray (you can't easily strip it off, that's why it's line x) so then on the respray, it starts looking more like regular bedliner (thick, globby) because it's a coat of ultra over a coat of ultra - make sense

Now you'll have some 1 pass pieces that don't match with your 2 pass pieces

They are not going to spring for new trim pieces to spray over ... ask me how I know

Here's a picture of a great spray - uniform texture, not thick, very consistent - I think my shop has been spraying Ultra for a year now

e3cUwJ3.jpg

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local Line-x guy said $400 for the wheel wells only. Is this too high?

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local Line-x guy said $400 for the wheel wells only. Is this too high?

Someone here had it done for $150.

I picked up 2 cans of rustoleum pro bed spray for $22. Hope to get it done next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk