Limb lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBQPorkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting our trucks down a jeep path is just a pain in the ass. It's slow going and really not what the truck was made for.

Sprman

Reaction score
While these aren't for everyone, I'll throw in my opinion on the solution. I think you could make a bracket similar to those that mount the LED roof lights on the top of the cab that will bolt in through the door jam and get a upper mount point so you can put the cables in.

A version of this would be easy to make

lbmb7_1.2356.jpg

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While these aren't for everyone, I'll throw in my opinion on the solution. I think you could make a bracket similar to those that mount the LED roof lights on the top of the cab that will bolt in through the door jam and get a upper mount point so you can put the cables in.

Awesome idea, thank you!

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can totally see the benefits of them. but width is going to be the big issue here more so than height.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. It's stupid uberlander shit that's not even useful. I don't even know where the idea came from - I suspect someone saw an old photo of a defender in africa with a rigged up radio antenna and thought it was a brush guard.

Most of the ones I've seen are so flimsily mounted that they'd rip the mounts off the hood if they were ever used as supposedly intended. Especially the ones you see on the plastic hood mounts on jeeps. The forces on a taught wire are tremendous. Especially with something that's going to "poke a hole in your windshield". And when they do snap, that limb now has some kinetic energy headed your direction.

And then the guys who run them have all this other junk - light bars, antennas, roof racks, snorkels, you name it - and their limb risers are directing every little branch right into them. It's just dumb. The guys who have them are the same ones who drive around the city 365 with their spare tire on their roof rack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score

lbmb7_1.2356.jpg

Anyone know how these mounts work? Are they just a tighten down clamp system like a CB antenna mount, or do you have to drill and rivet? I looked everywhere including Rigid's own Website and they don't detail mounting instructions.

Rough Country seems to make a similar mount, and that clearly says its a drill and rivet system.

I don't want to be drilling up there. Not sure if the Raptor comes with curtain airbags, but even if it doesn't I don't want to drill into a pillar. A clamp/tighten mounting system would be ideal.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know how these mounts work? Are they just a tighten down clamp system like a CB antenna mount, or do you have to drill and rivet? I looked everywhere including Rigid's own Website and they don't detail mounting instructions.

Rough Country seems to make a similar mount, and that clearly says its a drill and rivet system.

I don't want to be drilling up there. Not sure if the Raptor comes with curtain airbags, but even if it doesn't I don't want to drill into a pillar. A clamp/tighten mounting system would be ideal.

These are riveted, and yes there are airbags in the pillars. But, the holes are almost on the edge no where near the airbags. I would also be concerned about how strong the aluminum pillars are.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 74

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. It's stupid uberlander shit that's not even useful. I don't even know where the idea came from - I suspect someone saw an old photo of a defender in africa with a rigged up radio antenna and thought it was a brush guard.

Most of the ones I've seen are so flimsily mounted that they'd rip the mounts off the hood if they were ever used as supposedly intended. Especially the ones you see on the plastic hood mounts on jeeps. The forces on a taught wire are tremendous. Especially with something that's going to "poke a hole in your windshield". And when they do snap, that limb now has some kinetic energy headed your direction.

And then the guys who run them have all this other junk - light bars, antennas, roof racks, snorkels, you name it - and their limb risers are directing every little branch right into them. It's just dumb. The guys who have them are the same ones who drive around the city 365 with their spare tire on their roof rack.

This. If it's a steel cable with a ton of tension, and it snaps, it will do some damage.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are riveted, and yes there are airbags in the pillars. But, the holes are almost on the edge no where near the airbags. I would also be concerned about how strong the aluminum pillars are.

Thanks for the photo, that clears it up.

If the aluminum a-pillars are safety rated to withstand in a rollover (which I assume they are), there isn't anything to wonder about how they would do to withstand the forces of limb lifters.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Pretty much nothing in your post makes any sense. I also don't remember asking if I should do this, just specific questions about how I may be able to. Some guys build out their trucks to be street queens, some build them to be overlanders, some rock crawlers, some desert jumpers. Seeing the different builds is what makes this hobby fun, not offering unsolicited opinions on someone else's build.

But thanks for typing that up.