If you're interested in paint coatings I'll get you sorted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Genuine question - Even after an expensive coating, if you still have to baby the car in terms of where and how you get it washed, why would anyone have it coated? I understand the benefits of making the truck easy to wash, but that alone doesn't seem enough to justify the expense?

Wouldn't getting the truck 'wrapped' in 3M film be better in terms of durability?

lars464

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimmell, thank you for taking the time to answer lots of question here. I have several myself.
-I will be vinyl wrapping my roof. It's ok to coat over the wrap?
-I am lucky to be able to have my vehicles hand washed every week at my work. I have never coated a vehicle before, but on my normal vehicles I always wash, dry, then hit them with a cheap final detail type spray wax. Doing this every week does keep the vehicles looking nice. Can I still use a spray wax over the coating, or will it defeat/hurt anything?
-Suggestion for coating in the Philadelphia area?
Thank you for helping out the members here!

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Genuine question - Even after an expensive coating, if you still have to baby the car in terms of where and how you get it washed, why would anyone have it coated? I understand the benefits of making the truck easy to wash, but that alone doesn't seem enough to justify the expense?

Wouldn't getting the truck 'wrapped' in 3M film be better in terms of durability?

Coatings will make your vehicle more of a "glass surface" which helps prevent contaminants stick to it. The surface is also incredibly slick. So when you couple those together along with the coating being relatively hard it makes it safer to wash no matter where you take it. Nothing will prevent scratches but all of the benefits of coating will help prevent them and make them more difficult to do. Now, if you're going to some crap local car wash where they use cheap wash mitts and the same bucket of water on car after car after car that is covered in bugs, brake dust and dirt then you'll still get scratches. Coating is 100% worth it but you do have to maintain it properly. It needs to be hand washed regularly and you need to decontaminate it with a product like Iron X occasionally and wipe it down with a product to remove any build up of sealant or wax or other residue from your wash routine to keep the hydrophobic properties at their prime.

Getting film applied to the entire truck will usually cost twice what a paint correction/coating job will typically cost. And even when you're wrapping a truck in film or even just regular vinyl you're still better off getting coating applied. Until you wash a vehicle that has paint coating applied you'll never understand just how easy and safe it is to wash.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Trimmell, thank you for taking the time to answer lots of question here. I have several myself.
-I will be vinyl wrapping my roof. It's ok to coat over the wrap?
-I am lucky to be able to have my vehicles hand washed every week at my work. I have never coated a vehicle before, but on my normal vehicles I always wash, dry, then hit them with a cheap final detail type spray wax. Doing this every week does keep the vehicles looking nice. Can I still use a spray wax over the coating, or will it defeat/hurt anything?
-Suggestion for coating in the Philadelphia area?
Thank you for helping out the members here!

My pleasure!

You can absolutely apply coating over the top of your vinyl wrap. Vinyl does tend to absorb a bit of coating so you have to be a lot more vigilant with how you apply it to prevent "shadows" from having an uneven application but you will get the same benefits as you would with paint. Incredible hydrophobic properties and it will be incredibly easy to wash.

I would avoid using spray wax. Even with final you need to be careful what you're using. Most spray waxes will actually take some of the hydrophobic properties away from your coating and dirt/debris will be more likely to stick. After washing I would recommend using a product like CarPro's Reload Sealant over the top of your coating. It will help protect the coating and extend its life as well as add a nice warmth to the paint. It looks almost like you freshly waxed it after using Reload. Incredible stuff. Avoid the spray wax though. They aren't designed to work with coatings.

Check out Oakes Automotive Detailing in West Chester, PA. 610-696-5469

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks like you're finding your way thru this like I did a couple years back

Auto washes are a fact of life for me, reused sponges, etc all scratch my paint

Coatings didn't work for me as I still got scratches, and it's a pain to properly correct a ceramic coating

So I now xpel and apply a consumable sealant (vs semi permanent ceramic) - the consumable still protects the xpel, and scratches still happen but xpel self heals these away in the summer

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're finding your way thru this like I did a couple years back

Auto washes are a fact of life for me, reused sponges, etc all scratch my paint

Coatings didn't work for me as I still got scratches, and it's a pain to properly correct a ceramic coating

So I now xpel and apply a consumable sealant (vs semi permanent ceramic) - the consumable still protects the xpel, and scratches still happen but xpel self heals these away in the summer

Coatings aren't the cure all. Nobody claims them to be especially when customers choose to use cheap car washes that are all about volume. And we always have this conversation with a customer beforehand to decide if coating is right for their particular situation. If you plan on using the cheap auto salons then coating is definitely not the way to go as they will still destroy it with their crap techniques and products. In that case XPEL/Sealant is the better route for sure although it is significantly more expensive. At $5,000+ for XPEL on the entire truck its not a very common upgrade unfortunately.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up my truck tomorrow from getting a ceramic coating. My plan is to still run it through a touch less car wash where I clean it with a spray wand. So with that, do you recommend to not use there soap and go with a waterless cleaner?

Must admit, I'm not used to cleaning my vehicles any other way than doing the car war thing, so if you have a detailed recommendation on how to properly clean the vehicle that would be amazing. Product recommendations would be very helpful as well. I apologize if you already posted this, didn't see it in thr thread.

Questions:
Can you wash the truck too often and strip off the coating?
What's your recommended washing method? Details and steps would be amazing
What products would/do you use?

Edit additional question:
You mentioned wax above. Do you recommend to still wax the truck even after you get the coating?

Last edited:

lars464

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much has everybody been paying for there ceramic coating?
I should be taking delivery in the next few weeks and will be calling on price/service quality. I just want some type of baseline to determine a fair price. I will be coating a SCAB, and the wheels. I assume 4 door crew cab will be slightly more?

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much has everybody been paying for there ceramic coating?
I should be taking delivery in the next few weeks and will be calling on price/service quality. I just want some type of baseline to determine a fair price. I will be coating a SCAB, and the wheels. I assume 4 door crew cab will be slightly more?

Mine was $1,200. Included paint correction, and a 5yr package. I take it in once a year and they touch up the coating for $100. They said if I take it in for maintenance once a year it will last a lot longer than 5 years.

Also did window tinting and ceramic coating for all the windows for additional costs while it's in the shop

Edit: mine is a SCREW

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 years is a long time... aren't most coatings meant to last about a year or so?

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 years is a long time... aren't most coatings meant to last about a year or so?

They have a 1 yr, 5yr, and lifetime packages. All depends on how many coates they apply. My detailer is very cool and told me the lifetime is 2X the cost of the 5 yr, but the 5yr will last almost as long as the lifetime as long as you bring it in once a year for maintenance. Saved me money so I'm happy.

Edit addition:
They also recommend bringing in lifetime packages once a year for coat maintence, so the extra cost of yearly maintence doesn't just apply to the 5yr. I would be spending it on the lifetime as well if I got that.

Last edited: