GEN 2 Gen vs 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw gen2 today, indefinitely want an exhaust... But truth it everything else is amazing. The technology alone makes it so worthwhile, from car apps, to the audio, no sub in the back floor, tailgate slow fold down, cameras, sunroof... It's totally worth it.

My truck will go in on trade, new avalanche here on Monday.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to agree...Don't miss my 2014, except for that badass 6.2L sound and my Magnaflow catback exhaust.

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the people bitching about the new version not being a V8 and all the other nonsense I was worried about the new one. I gotta tell you it doesn't lack anything. It's got plenty of power (sorry but, I don't care how you get to 450hp. If you're there, you're there), has all the tech and one of the things I like the most is the new weather AWD mode (rain/snow). I hated knowing that I had 4WD that was unusable in some instances. The steering modes are bad-ass as well. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it.

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With all the people bitching about the new version not being a V8 and all the other nonsense I was worried about the new one. I gotta tell you it doesn't lack anything. It's got plenty of power (sorry but, I don't care how you get to 450hp. If you're there, you're there), has all the tech and one of the things I like the most is the new weather AWD mode (rain/snow). I hated knowing that I had 4WD that was unusable in some instances. The steering modes are bad-ass as well. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it.

I wonder if they addressed the front hub issues now that the truck has AWD. Which means the front hubs will engage and disengage at high speeds even with wheel cranked. Wonder how this works if you level the truck at CVS are at worse angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they addressed the front hub issues now that the truck has AWD. Which means the front hubs will engage and disengage at high speeds even with wheel cranked. Wonder how this works if you level the truck at CVS are at worse angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the front has clutches that allow it to not destroy everything in there.

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My very first impression on the G2 vs G1 is I prefer the driving characteristics of my G1. I've only driven less than 50 miles on the new truck so I am waiting to put up more miles before I start a thread with my full impressions. I don't know if it's the tranny or what, but the G2 just does not drive smooth like the G1 while driving. The G2 feels great when the pedal is to the floor, really throws you back in your seat. But who drives like that all the time?

I'll be going out to the desert in the new truck here in a few weeks. Hopefully this changes my mind.

But I far prefer the looks of the G2 for the looks of it's exterior.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting setup with the clutches. Would like to see what that actually looks like.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually, that's not true. The "clutch" is inside the transfer case, and only works when in 4A mode. The "hubs" use the same IWE's that all F-150's use, including the previous Raptor.

Steering angle should not matter. The IWE's would be at the same angle as the wheel when turned. Going through the workshop manual *does* indicate steering angle, among other things, is considered by the computer prior to a 4x4 shift.

Going back to the clutch, bear in mind that if you choose 4H or 4L on the selector knob, essentially exactly the same process is occurring in the transfer case as what happened with the Gen-1 Raptor. You are being mechanically locked into 4x4.

Much has been made of the "magic" transfer case in the Gen-2, but basically it performs no new functions that have not already been available on F-150 trucks for at least 5 years now. Starting in 2012, Lariat+ F-150's could be had with the 4A mode. XL and XLT trucks only had 4H and 4L functions. (They used the same transfer case as a low-trim F-50) The difference between those two transfer cases was the clutch. The lower trim trucks mechanically locked into 4x4 when the knob was turned. The Lariat+ trucks *could not* mechanically lock into 4x4, ever. When you selected 4H or 4L on their dashboard knobs, all that happened was the clutch applied full pressure to "lock" but drive to the front axle always remained through a clutch. What is *unique* about the Raptor Gen-2 transfer case is that it marries those two functions. 4A sends drive to the front through a clutch (hence providing "AWD") but when you select 4H or 4L, 4x4 is mechanically engaged through the use of a locking collar...no clutch.

The Raptor-2 transfer case has a couple of other unique features, such as sensing when the clutch is being overloaded (extensive driving in 4A mode while off-road) and automatically will shift into locked 4H mode while notifying the user. It can also shift back into 4A mode when the load is reduced. It also has the ability to be automatically shifted into 4A, 4H, or 4L depending upon the drive-mode selected. Finally, the 4x4 selector know itself is unique. The diff lock symbol is actually illuminated (it is not on any other F-150 or Super Duty) and has a soft "push-on / push-off" operation rather than the "pull out / push in" type used on the 150 and Super Duty. The Diff Lock has an amber LED "on" light missing from the other trucks as well. And for all other 4x4 modes, the selector knob can be turned "infinitely" rather than the hard stops on all other Ford truck models. Plus, an additional amber LED will be lit for whichever mode the truck is currently in...in addition to the instrument cluster notification when 4A, 4H, or 4L is selected.

All in all, I think the single biggest upgrade the the 4A capability that allows this vehicle to never lose traction in snowy conditions. You can now confidently pull out of a slippery parking lot on to a plowed road without spinning in 2WD, or binding in 4x4. You can now go from plowed dry roads through drifted snow totally confidently. Or pull out of a slippery boat ramp and then make a 90-degree turn with no binding.

Gen 1 vs Gen 2? I wish I had one of each. The Gen 1 has some things about it that are awesome. Its the original. It has a much simpler drivetrain...everything from engine, transmission, and transfer case. All of those items were proven commodities from use in the F-150. The Gen-2 uses much more unique components (although word is the Lincoln Navigator will use the Raptor engine and have identical horsepower).

The 2009-2014 pickup had truly great styling. Tall bedsides, chunky looking doors, nice front end. Ultimately, I love the Gen-2 styling more, though. The rear exhaust treatment is awesome, along with the more chiseled front end.

Overall, I dislike the Gen-2 exhaust note, and don't like the more expensive beadlock rims (which mine has). The 10-speed is certainly not as smooth as the 6-speed. But otherwise, it sure is awesome.